Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Felt F Series Stiffness

5K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  bleckb 
#1 ·
As far as I know, the Scott Foil is pretty much the stiffest bike around, or at least is known as such.

Does anyone have any numbers that compare the F Series to the Scott Foil?

Anecdotal evidence is not a number.

#2 ·
It depends on what you mean by "stiffness"??? Do you mean torsional stiffness, vertical compliance/rigidity, stiffness to weight? There are lots of bikes out that there that are probably stiffer than the Foil in key areas, but the Foil is known for being horrible when it comes to veritcal compliance (comfort). The Felt's are known for having great stiffness to weight characterists and for their racing pedigree and value. In the August 2013 issue of Velo Magazine, they rated the F1 over 3 other Tour de France bikes (Focus Izalco Team, Pinarello Dogma, Cervelo R5ca (or something like that).

Velo Magazine ? August 2013 - VeloNews.com

We have been talking about this in another thread (some like it, some hate it):

WIN WITH GIANT - The Truth About Road Frame Testing - YouTube

#7 ·
In the August 2013 issue of Velo Magazine, they rated the F1 over 3 other Tour de France bikes (Focus Izalco Team, Pinarello Dogma, Cervelo R5ca (or something like that).

Velo Magazine ? August 2013 - VeloNews.com

We have been talking about this in another thread (some like it, some hate it):

WIN WITH GIANT - The Truth About Road Frame Testing - YouTube
The Giant test is a joke - at least in our office. In their "stiffness to weight" test, they use our older generation AR1 designed in 2007, not the lightest version of that bike mind you and certainly not the latest completely new version of the bike we just introduced this year. Of course the aero bike developed a half dozen years ago wasn't going to be as light as their non-aero bike.

The best part of this is when they released the Giant Propel suddenly the Felt AR1 was left off the comparison chart. What happened to it? Did they misplace their Felt AR1 frame when it came time to do an aero test, not a stiffness test?

Nice try Giant.

The all new AR FRD has the absolute best balance of an exceptionally stiff frame (within ~6% of the F1) it is more aerodynamic than anything Giant or anyone else (in a -15 --> 0 -->15 sweep) makes. It has nearly double the vertical compliance of the F-series models, nearly the same as our "comfort" Z bike. Nothing else is close. Period.

#5 ·
That is often described as bottom bracket stiffness and people have different feelings about it. I used to own a Felt F Series and there are people that can provide you with a better answer than I can, but in my opinion yes, Felt's oversized BB30 bottom bracket and carbon layup transfers power extremely well. They are great bikes, particularly if speed is what you are after. That is part of what the test in the issue of Velo Magazine I directed you toward was measuring. You should try to find that issue if you can (August 2013). They basically gave the Felt F1 a score of 90 out of 100 and gave the other bikes an 88, 81, and 70.

#10 ·
I don't know how stiff the F4 I built for my son is as the frame is a few years old. However, I can say it's way faster than my Look KG381 (based on some of my strava times for this point in the year) which has been retired. I'm seriously thinking about a Felt for myself. My son's is a 58 and I need a 60, but I'm tempted to put a longer stem on it and tell him tough luck.

As for the original question, for the bulk of us, unless we are at least a cat 2 and on our way up, the difference in bb stiffness is likely a distinction without a difference. I don't mean to be dismissive, so I apologize up front if I sound like it, but why the concern? Just so you can hang with the mates?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.