Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Felt F5 2011

Votes: 27 90.0%
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please post your comments which one would you choose? I have been offered F4 2010 with 130eur higher price vs. F5 2011. Thx Pete

·
feltbicycles.com
100 Posts
The frames for the 2011 F-Series have been significantly updated... Take a look at a recent review of the F2 on cyclingnews. Most of the ride characteristics the reviewer discusses will trickle down to the F5 you are considering.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/reviews/felt-f2-review

I suggest riding both though, and go with the bike you prefer

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kickstand / leg for F4/F5 bike?

Is it possible to install kickstand / leg for Felt carbon bike? Can you tighten the part
around carbon frame. Usually kickstand needs to be tightened a lot so I wonder if carbon can take it or not?

·
feltbicycles.com
100 Posts
I would highly recommend that you do NOT use a kick stand on any carbon frame. Carbon frames simply aren't designed to have that type of clamping force applied

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
consensus seems to be that the new frame is off the charts

i wrestled with the same question...'10 team 4 or new 5. arrgghhh.

it comes down to owning the new frame on the f 5. on the '011 bike, the 105 kit is nice, but the rest of the specs, most conspicously, the wheels, maybe the fsa crank, might be on the down slope. i think fsa is actually calling some of the cranks back, cracks reported. anyway, for me, the frame on the f5 is still the thing, that's the same frame used all the way up to f3. the same frame. on the f phuckin THREE bro, that is no joke. f3 is super explosive five thousand dollar bike.

ok so on the '011 f5 its gonna be another five, six, or seven bucks to get the wheels that do it justice. the new 105 only gets you part of the way there. but carefully upgrade, say kick the fsa and get the compact hollowtech 105 or ultegra crank with bb30, for wheels try the easton 90sl's (perfect for that frame), and you just doubled value, value--four, four and a half g bike for only two point 5. like i said, i have been thinking it over. worth pause, serious pause, in my book.

·
feltbicycles.com
100 Posts
If you are kicking around the idea of an F5, but want some upgrades right out of the box, take a look at the F5 Special Edition. For the extra $200 you get:

Team paint job
Full 105 5700 kit
3T cockpit (bars, stem, seatpost)
Fizik Pave saddle

Well over $200 in upgrades.

http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2011/Road/F-Series/F5-Special-Edition.aspx

Most sizes are in stock and available to ship if your local dealer does not have one

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seatpost carrier/rack

Thanks for your comments. Yet another thing to check: can I put carrier to the seatpost with Felt F4 or F5? I know it kills the looks but it is convenient when going out for a longer tour (for couple of days).

·
Registered
187 Posts
I love my 2011 F5. I did some part swapping at the time of purchase because my LBS rolls like that and it allowed me to make some significant changes without breaking the bank. Not that there is anything wrong with Shimano, but I ditched the running gear and went with full SRAM Rival except that I went with a SRAM Force BB30 compact crank. Felt has or had their Devox bar and stem for half off so I grab that, and purchased some SRAM S30 Sprints. I couldn't be happier. That parts diet brought my bike down to sub 16 with pedals and cages. There's a picture of my bike on another thread titled "She's almost finished".

·
Born to chase Ducks
2,736 Posts
Pete bike said:
Thanks for your comments. Yet another thing to check: can I put carrier to the seatpost with Felt F4 or F5? I know it kills the looks but it is convenient when going out for a longer tour (for couple of days).
On my F3, I choose to go with an alloy seatpost (Thomson) to ensure I had no issues if I choose to hang a rack off the seatpost. So far, I've gotten by with a saddle bag, and haven't actually done the rack, but I'm covered if I do.

·
feltbicycles.com
100 Posts
There are a couple of companies out there making carbon seatpost compatible racks. I'd have to do a little digging to find them... Don4 is right though, an aluminum post is preferable for rack application.

If you decide to put a rack on a carbon post make sure you do not exceed the torque settings on the rack clamp or exceed the recommended weight limit (normally 15-25lbs on a seatpost mount rack.)

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Dray3573 said:
I love my 2011 F5. I did some part swapping at the time of purchase because my LBS rolls like that and it allowed me to make some significant changes without breaking the bank. Not that there is anything wrong with Shimano, but I ditched the running gear and went with full SRAM Rival except that I went with a SRAM Force BB30 compact crank. Felt has or had their Devox bar and stem for half off so I grab that, and purchased some SRAM S30 Sprints. I couldn't be happier. That parts diet brought my bike down to sub 16 with pedals and cages. There's a picture of my bike on another thread titled "She's almost finished".

link or it hasnt happened

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
wpcouch said:
If you are kicking around the idea of an F5, but want some upgrades right out of the box, take a look at the F5 Special Edition. For the extra $200 you get:

Team paint job
Full 105 5700 kit
Fizik Pave saddle

Most sizes are in stock and available to ship if your local dealer does not have one
good to know new one oh five nice. 3t nice. f5 is still in the running, not wild about the black scheme. we talkin garmin/blue? damn 105 carbon umh frame for 2100? where?

fulcrum or the felt hubs? carbon steerer?

·
feltbicycles.com
100 Posts
easyridernyc said:
good to know new one oh five nice. 3t nice. f5 is still in the running, not wild about the black scheme. we talkin garmin/blue? damn 105 carbon umh frame for 2100? where?

fulcrum or the felt hubs? carbon steerer?
The F5 Spec Edition is the Garmin team livery
Felt hubs
Carbon tapered steerer
$2299

·
Registered
163 Posts
wpcouch said:

Team paint job
Full 105 5700 kit
Fizik Pave saddle

Why do they have a team edition when then are no longer the bike supplier for Garmin Slipstream?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ordered the F4 2010 for now...

The selling company in Germany assured me that the F4 bike that I am getting at 1479 EUR is SO good and that I wont be disapppointed so I took it. The seller was so sure of it that he gave me full guarantee i.e. try it out and if I am not happy return it. I really hope I wont be disappointed and dont need to return it and start to order th F5 2011 instead etc. Let´s see - the bike should arrive to Finland next week.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
wpcouch said:
The F5 Spec Edition is the Garmin team livery
Felt hubs
Carbon tapered steerer
$2299

the footprint was actually nicer on the 010, but the umh frame is a way way WAY upgrade.

not sold on the felt hubs, but the carbon steerer imo is close to a deal clincher, very nice, and important feature when you are humping it down a hill and around a bend

·
Ride bicycles? Why?
522 Posts
I definately agree w/ dray!

My F5 is sub 16 riding weight minus water in the bottles. Only stock parts left are the frame, headset bearings and saddle. The bike is phenominal. I went to 6700 w/ fsa brakes, strong yet light cockpit from deda and ritchey, FSA cranks w/ ceramic bb and AM Classic Victory 30 wheels. With knog lights, king SS cages, computer and keo sprint pedals 16 lbs flat w/ my old AM Classic victory wheels. New AM Classic Victory 30 wheels are about 1/4lb lighter. Didnt really cost me much as my friends and the shop love trading parts around. The 53/39 and 11-25 cassette are ripping my legs apart on the climbs this early in the season but its a damn fun ride!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Like the F4?

The selling company in Germany assured me that the F4 bike that I am getting at 1479 EUR is SO good and that I wont be disapppointed so I took it. The seller was so sure of it that he gave me full guarantee i.e. try it out and if I am not happy return it. I really hope I wont be disappointed and dont need to return it and start to order th F5 2011 instead etc. Let´s see - the bike should arrive to Finland next week.
Pete, just wanted to follow up, since I'm looking at the same possibility. Do you like the F4? I imagine you do, it's a sweet looking bike.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts