Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those that don't know, Felt has a cool option where you buy just the frame and fork. I went with the traditional F-series road frame and moved my components over to save money. Pictured below is the FC which is the same frame as the F3, 4 and 5 series. Felt has frame options for all their bikes for those who might want to do the same. Anyways, I had no idea they did this until I needed a new frame due to a crash. Thought I'd pass it on.

Good photo op as well :)
View attachment 276519

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,670 Posts
most manufacturers do this, it's nothing special. but...they will also price the framesets in such a way that a complete bike is a much better value. my '12 P1 Madone 6.9 is a great example...the complete bike w/ SRAM Force and low-end Bontrager components/wheels was $4500, the frame set was $3990.

·
coaster
1,051 Posts
Many people buy just a frame and move their parts over, probably more in the MTB world than road but I've never seen a frame that's not available ala carte. I haven't bought a complete bike since 1998.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
most manufacturers do this, it's nothing special. but...they will also price the framesets in such a way that a complete bike is a much better value. my '12 P1 Madone 6.9 is a great example...the complete bike w/ SRAM Force and low-end Bontrager components/wheels was $4500, the frame set was $3990.
True. I should have added that Felt will sell a number of frames under MSRP at the discretion of the shop dealing them. In my case the FC frame out the door at $1089 was well below MSRP of $1699 and IIRC the shop said Felt would allow them to do 10 frames in this manner. W/o the below MSRP pricing it would make more sense to buy complete and sell off the group if one wanted to transfer the existing group...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.