Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want a bike that'll cover all my bases and not be as stiff as a true roadie--I think I've narrowed it down to these 2...your thoughts are needed!

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,329 Posts
You mean 'Crossrip', yeah?

They are both pretty cool bikes. I've built some Crossrips and I like them. The cable/hydro brakes work pretty well and we haven't seen any of them back w/ problems. None.

My roommate races cx for Marin and has a bike w/ the Spyre brakes and they feel good as well. She's liking them a lot, they're her first disc brakes. Her 'A' race bike will have Shimano hydro brakes, but so far she's really liking these.

Drivetrain is pretty close. Normally I'd recommend going w/ any hydro brake over a cable brake, but because both pistons move w/ the Spyre they're easier to adjust. Not 'self adjusting' for pad wear like a hydro, but much easier to deal with. I'd say you can't go wrong w/ either one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"CrossRip" my bad!

You mean 'Crossrip', yeah?

They are both pretty cool bikes. I've built some Crossrips and I like them. The cable/hydro brakes work pretty well and we haven't seen any of them back w/ problems. None.

My roommate races cx for Marin and has a bike w/ the Spyre brakes and they feel good as well. She's liking them a lot, they're her first disc brakes. Her 'A' race bike will have Shimano hydro brakes, but so far she's really liking these.

Drivetrain is pretty close. Normally I'd recommend going w/ any hydro brake over a cable brake, but because both pistons move w/ the Spyre they're easier to adjust. Not 'self adjusting' for pad wear like a hydro, but much easier to deal with. I'd say you can't go wrong w/ either one.
Good to know about the brakes, VERY appreciated. I know they're both fairly new to the market...would you recommend one over the other? Was also wondering if anyone knows the weight specs for either (61cm/60cm). You sound like you might be a Trek guy--I love my Trek lbs but I've had great luck with Felt in the past and this shop has a great buyer support pkg.

BIG thanks again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts