Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think that every bike I've ever owned has had a different seat clamping mechanism, and my new Felt VR5 is no exception. I may resort to just taking everything apart to see how it works (marking current position first of course!), but maybe someone here has worked with this design and can explain how it works.

The clamp is secured with two bolts, but what it appears as is that the front bolt is a stud coming up from within the seatpost that has a knurled nut installed which is up under the seat. The rear bolt is conventional and is what you would tighten and torque.

What I'm not clear on is how the seat angle is controlled, and if there is a trick to assembling things correctly. You'd apparently have to get the nut in front installed by hand before tightening the rear bolt, but again I can't quite see how everything works up in there.

This would not be a major deal except that I'm trying to locate and eliminate a slight creaking in that area. Maybe it's worth taking it all apart and reassembling it just to get familiar with how it works?

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,582 Posts
You have to adjust back and forth (front and rear) to get it right where you want it, but it's very easy. I'd grease everything. Threads, where the rails are clamped, and where the bottom part of the clamp sits.

Just tighten up the front some and then tighten the back. If it needs adjusting, then adjust it. You'll figure it out, it's dead simple.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have to adjust back and forth (front and rear) to get it right where you want it, but it's very easy. I'd grease everything. Threads, where the rails are clamped, and where the bottom part of the clamp sits.

Just tighten up the front some and then tighten the back. If it needs adjusting, then adjust it. You'll figure it out, it's dead simple.
Thanks. Now that the season for this bike is pretty much over, I'll take it into my shop and disassemble the whole works to see exactly what's what and, as you suggested, grease everything before I put it back. From process of elimination, I'm pretty sure that it's in that mechanism where the creak is coming from.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts