Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm relatively new to the road cycling, and am looking to get a bike for training, entry racing, and maybe a little tri stuff. I want to keep the price tag as close to $1000 as possible, and have pretty much narrowed things down to a Specialized Allez Elite w/ triple ($1100), a Giant ORC1 ($1000), and either a Felt F70 or F75. As for rider profile, I'm around 5'8" and in pretty good shape, so don't want anything too bulky. Any and all input greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Matt

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Are you looking for racing geometry or not? I'd either look at the more aggressive Giant TCR in comparison to the Allez... or look at the Specialized Tarmac. I'd try to get some Shimano 105 specs, but you're definitely pushing it at $1100.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure exactly what "racing geometry" is, and i have looked at the TRC, but generally found it a little pricey. I likewise and looking to get 105 or even better, hence the challenge of finding a good bike sub 1100. As always, advice appreciated.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I was in the same boat this past winter. I opted for the 2005 Felt F60 for an even grand.

If you could get hands on a closeout 2005 bike, you might be able to save a bit. I like my Felt.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think the felt would be the best bargain. Full 105 with an ultegra rear; and like sdkwan says try to find a closeout, you might be able to upgrade to a better bike for the same amount of money.

·
"It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
mattw said:
Hi, I'm relatively new to the road cycling, and am looking to get a bike for training, entry racing, and maybe a little tri stuff. I want to keep the price tag as close to $1000 as possible, and have pretty much narrowed things down to a Specialized Allez Elite w/ triple ($1100), a Giant ORC1 ($1000), and either a Felt F70 or F75. As for rider profile, I'm around 5'8" and in pretty good shape, so don't want anything too bulky. Any and all input greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Matt
Get the one that feels most comfortable to you. If they all feel equally comfortable, get one from the bicycle shop you like best. If they are all from the same shop, get the one the salesman recommends.

They are all good bikes.

- FBB

·
Registered
175 Posts
Racing geometry

Racing geometry basically puts you a little lower on the bike. So when you lean forward and put your hands on the handlebars, you are leaning a little further over which cuts down on wind resistance. There are other differences, but that is the one that is most noticable. If you are not used to it, or are not very flexible, it will be uncomfortable. Generally speaking, you will have to sacrifice some comfort for more speed.

You mention that you may enter some beginner races. The Giant OCR you mention is a more upright "comfort" bike (doesn't mean you can't race it). As another poster mentioned, check out the TCR, which is giants line of racing bikes. You should be able to get an aluminum one for the price range your in (used). For your price range, Ebay, or a used dealer would be the way to go. Good luck.

·
Registered
173 Posts
if the bike must be new, felt is most commonly the best bang for the buck.

but test ride the felt and the other bikes also...stuff like the giant OCR will handle differently. OCR will tend to be more stable and more forgiving over rough terrain....i dont know if u want something snappy or otherwise, so you must ride to find out what suits you best.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts