Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have experience with Felt's frame warranty?

I bought an F65 aluminum/carbon bike from a local Felt dealer about 6.5 years ago. I've taken very good care of the bike, always kept it inside, cleaned it regularly, etc. All moving parts and components still function perfectly, but a few days ago I discovered a long crack in the aluminum near the aluminum/carbon joint by the seat-stays. I plan on calling the LBS and/or Felt tomorrow regarding my options. I was just wondering if anybody has any experience with this and could make some recommendations for when I'm on the phone.

Thanks in advance.

Adam

·
wasssabi
2,081 Posts
I'd say if you got 6.5 years out of an aluminum bike you got your monies worth. Unless it just sat there. Aluminum fatigues and eventually cracks. Every time you hit a bump the molecules in the metal move thus weakening and eventually failing. I doubt it would be under warranty. Maybe they would give you a replacement deal. I would be happy with that.
Call them, good luck.
Bye the way the 2011 felts look real nice.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
It looks a lot like a harmless paint crack. Still, show it to someone at your LBS to make sure.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Good experience with it

I had a 2005 F75 that broke where the chainstay meets the dropout (right along the weld). I didn't have the actual receipt even, but Felt took a copy of the CC bill. Get this: they replaced the frame with a 2009 F3 carbon frame! I'm pretty happy with Felt's warranty service.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wish it was just a paint crack :( A different shop than the one I bought it from identified it as a frame crack.

That's great news, Sore. I look forward to calling them tomorrow!

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
siguradam said:
I wish it was just a paint crack :( A different shop than the one I bought it from identified it as a frame crack.
In that case, Felt should do the right thing. From the point of view of a shop, Felt's always been good to work with.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a similar crack on my Motobecane that I bought from a neighbor of mine. Wonder if its a common issue with carbon seat stays?

This post made me inspect it further and turns out like your Felt it is a frame crack... How dangerous is it to ride a frame like that?

Trying to plan a wedding so a new bike is out of the question for quite some time. No possible way to warranty it also.

Sorry if this is off topic... hope Felt can do something for you.

·
wasssabi
2,081 Posts
This post made me inspect it further and turns out like your Felt it is a frame crack... How dangerous is it to ride a frame like that?[/QUOTE]
If you want those skid marks in your shorts to be, well, actual skid marks, ride on brotha!:eek:
Check out the Scattante xrl frameset for $230. A more than worthy replacement.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Sore_Okole said:
I had a 2005 F75 that broke where the chainstay meets the dropout (right along the weld). I didn't have the actual receipt even, but Felt took a copy of the CC bill. Get this: they replaced the frame with a 2009 F3 carbon frame! I'm pretty happy with Felt's warranty service.
I had the same crack with a 2005 F80 frame a couple of years ago. Felt didn't have any paperwork. My LBS called and left a message about my 58 cm frame. Felt never even returned his call. Next day, my frame arrives at the LBS. The turnaround time was no surprise since Felt is less than 20 miles away, but the fact they replaced it without any info other than a voicemail impressed me.

Now, the downside is the OP's frame is that it might not be under warranty. Newer Felt frames have a lifetime warranty but I do recall that pre-'08 frames only had a 5 year warranty. Call Felt anyway. Who knows? They might replace it eventhough the bike is no longer under warranty. 2010 is the last year Felt is selling an aluminum frame with carbon stays and most of those are already sold out. If they do replace this one, it would probably be replaced with a carbon frame.

BTW, the F75 was introduced in 2006; 2005 models were the F70. They had the same frame as the higher level F65 and F55 however.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
T K said:
I'd say if you got 6.5 years out of an aluminum bike you got your monies worth. Unless it just sat there. Aluminum fatigues and eventually cracks. Every time you hit a bump the molecules in the metal move thus weakening and eventually failing. I doubt it would be under warranty. Maybe they would give you a replacement deal. I would be happy with that.
Call them, good luck.
Bye the way the 2011 felts look real nice.
While aluminum, as a material, isn't all that resistant to fatigue, aluminum frames, in general, are the most fatigue resistant of all frames. The reason is simple - they are so stiff that they don't flex far enough to fatigue, and several tests have demonstrated this. It's just a wives tale, at this point.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/EFBe/frame_fatigue_test.htm

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
rx-79g said:
While aluminum, as a material, isn't all that resistant to fatigue, aluminum frames, in general, are the most fatigue resistant of all frames. The reason is simple - they are so stiff that they don't flex far enough to fatigue, and several tests have demonstrated this. It's just a wives tale, at this point.

Contrary to what the masses believe, my understanding is that this is correct. Due to it's stiffness, it is least likely to suffer fatigue. I've been told this many times as well.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
rx-79g said:

some reading on the notion of fatigue limit would be worthwhile...

·
wasssabi
2,081 Posts
rx-79g said:

Hmmm..... I've seen a lot more cracked, err fatigued, aluminum frames than steel or ti.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
UPDATE:

Felt did their inspection and concluded that the crack was cosmetic only. Good news, I get my bike back. Bad news, I kinda wanted a new frame.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Damn, I just checked my 06 F75 frame and I have a small line developing in the exact same area as you do. I hope mine is just cosmetic like yours is. My line is less than half the length of yours at the moment, but I am going to monitor it closely...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a similar situation on a '07 F55.

I'd rather not change out everything across to a new frame (given i really only used it for 2 years before taking a hiatus from cycling), there is no movement/noise at all - just a hairline crack at the point of transition from Carb/Aluminum... I am inclined to believe it is merely the paint cracking from the vibrations of the carbon chainstays and ss - and the rigidity of the aluminum frame.

Does anyone have an idea of how this joint is bonded - how far does the carbon member go up the seat stay tube does it go as far as the seat post or what, and how where is it epoxied/bonded when there? Any feedback would be great.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Anybody have experience with Felt's frame warranty?

I bought an F65 aluminum/carbon bike from a local Felt dealer about 6.5 years ago. I've taken very good care of the bike, always kept it inside, cleaned it regularly, etc. All moving parts and components still function perfectly, but a few days ago I discovered a long crack in the aluminum near the aluminum/carbon joint by the seat-stays. I plan on calling the LBS and/or Felt tomorrow regarding my options. I was just wondering if anybody has any experience with this and could make some recommendations for when I'm on the phone.

Thanks in advance.

Adam
How many miles did you log over the course of the 6.5 years?

I often wonder if there is a magical threshold how long an alu frame is supposed to last under typical riding conditions and rider weight. It also seems to me your frame suffers from an engineering flaw because it cracked at the carbon/alu intersection.

Probably a stupid question: But does anyone know if alu when not in use does have a shelf life?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Probably a stupid question: But does anyone know if alu when not in use does have a shelf life?
Alu itself, no, not without some other weird factors. But at a material junction like that you might be able to cycle it thermally if it were undergoing huge temperature swings every day. Joining carbon to metal has always been an issue in a lot of industries.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts