Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
MORE MINIMALISM DANG IT!!
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a new set of zefal fenders on my old Specialized MTN bike, and the fit looks a bit funny. The spacing doesn't seem right, as it increases or "kicks out" toward the back of the tires about an inch or so. Does this matter? I expected the fender to "hug" the tire with an equal spacing from front to back. One thought was to trim the stays with a dremel to bring the fender closer, but if I goof and cut them too short, it's all over. What would you do?
And- on a ridiculous note, I can't believe that I am a 40-Something grown man and I'm so completely and totally stoked about my new bike fenders. They are shiny and black!

·
What'd I do?
1,777 Posts
Your best bet may be to try to even out the gap all the way around. The struts are adjustable, but moving the bolts on the struts will make the rest of the fender bow in a different manner. Putting it as high as it will go at the top of the wheel will bring the tail end closer to it, etc.

·
Registered
152 Posts
those fenders have heard more than one curse word from me during installation on my previous commuter. it is a real pain to align them sometimes. they are quite ornery beasts!

·
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll post one or two pics tonite

I guess what really bothers me is whether or not this is just a matter of aesthetics or will the fenders be more effective when evenly spaced.....hhhmmmm.......

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
HOOKEM said:
I
And- on a ridiculous note, I can't believe that I am a 40-Something grown man and I'm so completely and totally stoked about my new bike fenders. They are shiny and black!
Simple pleasures, my good man,..........simple pleasures! :)

·
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tell me about it.....

.....and.....I also have a new AERO brake lever that I just can't wait to put on my fixed gear.....I'm glad someone understands!

·
BS the DC
1,426 Posts
Gig'em

·
BS the DC
1,426 Posts
HOOKEM said:
What? The fenders?
You could Gig'em or you could Hook'em, but I recommend you Adjust'em.

·
Unstable
195 Posts
HOOKEM said:
.....and.....I also have a new AERO brake lever that I just can't wait to put on my fixed gear.....I'm glad someone understands!
No doubt. You are in good company. To think, in my twenties I would have poo pooed fenders and a rack. "Oh those things are hideous and they are so heavy." Or, "those things are ghey". Now that I live in the PNW and commute, fenders with mud flaps, errrr, debris flaps, and shinny black. Simple rack as the finishing touch. :thumbsup:

·
Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts

·
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Pictures

OK, BAD pictures of my shiny, badly spaced fenders. Gotta figure out this image posting thing......but not before I get these spaced right. And, j, that fender thread rocks, but my effort is not worthy until it is aesthetically correct. HHmmmmm.....mudflaps........

·
Unstable
195 Posts
jplatzner said:
Gotta finish the wood ones too..
Those are nice, if they are the ones you buy at the LBS that are like one-fity for the pair :eek: . Full Wood fenders, made by the guy that owns River City Bikes. I was eyeing some....but elected to run the Planet-X $30 for the pair and call it a day. Sweet looking, dress up any bike.

EDIT: Duh, sounds like your making them yerself...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.