Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bike on the way that will include nice aluminum Honsho fenders. I usually transport my bikes in roof racks that clamp to the fork. I can get a roof rack that doesn't use a full-length tray to accommodate the rear of the front fender. My question relates to the upper front lip of the front fender.

I'm concerned that the wind pressure from driving a couple hundred miles at highway speeds could fatigue, or maybe even bend, the upper lip of the front fender. Am I just being paranoid? I can mount the bike backwards, so the rear fender faces forward. But this would put the wind load on the rear fender stays. Is this any better?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
PdxMark said:
I have a bike on the way that will include nice aluminum Honsho fenders. I usually transport my bikes in roof racks that clamp to the fork. I can get a roof rack that doesn't use a full-length tray to accommodate the rear of the front fender. My question relates to the upper front lip of the front fender.

I'm concerned that the wind pressure from driving a couple hundred miles at highway speeds could fatigue, or maybe even bend, the upper lip of the front fender. Am I just being paranoid? I can mount the bike backwards, so the rear fender faces forward. But this would put the wind load on the rear fender stays. Is this any better?

Thanks.
I think you are just being paranoid. Haven't you ever had your bike up to 50+ before? If the fenders didn't buckle then they won't on the roof of your car.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
No probs w/plastic Zefals, but with aluminum...

I've carried my singlespeed with plastic fenders up to 80-85 for several hundred miles without any trouble, but I think your concern about aluminum might be valid. Don't see a fix for it, though, except to try it out. As for holding the speed to 50...doesn't seem realistic to me, but I live in the wide open West, where the de facto Interstate limit is 80+.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
sunroof?

PdxMark said:

Thanks.
If you have a sunroof, you might be able to keep an eye on it. I would try driving a little more slowly at first, then see how it goes.

Would a bike bra cover the fender? That might help.

Doug

·
Registered
12 Posts
no worries!

i have a cross bike that doubles as a commuter and tourer with fenders. i drive it regularly on the top of my jeep cherokee on the autobahn at 85-90mph with no issues whatsoever.

·
Registered
21,765 Posts
No worries unless they start vibrating

The only risk to your Al fenders will come if you get a resonant vibration at a given speed. If the aluminum is subject to continous vibration, it will fatigue. Just wind pressure will not be a problem.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The fenders should be fine

but if you have a mud-flap on the front one, you're gonna have to bend it at about 90 degrees to clear the tray. I've found this to be a minor problem when a crease develops in the flap.

-Ray

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
some solutions:

I have one fork-mount carrier, and one 'standing' carrier on my roof rack. I usually have the 'standing' carrier mounted backwards (makes lifting a complete bike much easier on the passenger side, BTW), which keeps the wind from getting unter a front fender. I have 2 bikes with full fenders, and one of them is a classic roadster that I'm not going to carry using a fork mount.
Also, the fork-mount unit can be mounted backwards......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.