Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Rain or shine IMO fenders are an amazingly useful piece of kit.

Rain riding or not you are going to run into puddles, misaligned sprinklers and mud. Nothing like a clean bike and backside.

Plus just because you don't start out in the rain doesn't mean you won't end up in rain.

· Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
One option is clip on fenders. I live in Colorado, where it hardly ever rains, and when it does, it rains for 20 miutes at the longest. The roads are even dry in the winter. Clip on fenders are quick and easy.

· Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
I'm going the other way. If you won't ride in the rain, don't bother. The occasional puddle isn't an issue. If you've gone this long without.... Installation is tricky, too. The only caveat to that is if you commute and might get caught in the rain on the way home or if you ride in the morning after it rained.

· Registered
2,403 Posts
As others have pointed out, if you are only riding for pleasure and not for transportation. Go without. If you are commuting or other transportational uses then you won't get to choose to ride only when it's not raining, so fenders are a good investment.

I have two bikes, one with fenders, one without. I decide to ride the fenderless bike last Friday and of course it rains on the way home and I end up with "the stripe".

Scot

· Registered
157 Posts
I vote for fenders. It's good for the rain, but it also is good for chain lube life as well. After installing my fenders I got 600 miles out of one lube application this last winter (it was pretty dry and the snow kept the dust down), and I'm averaging about 200 miles/application through the spring and summer so far.

Of course I have a dedicated commuter bike that they are on, if I was thinking about fenders for a more "recreational" bike I would go for the clip-ons.

· Banned
7,191 Posts
barbedwire said:
I'm contemplating getting some fenders, but I hardly ever ride in the rain. When it rains, I purposely decide to not ride. So, do you think fenders be a waste of money for me?
Here's a thought- if you got fenders, would you ride in the rain? If so, then they're a great idea.

I rarely ride "in the rain"- I mean, it happens, but not that often. But, a lot of times I do have to ride just after it's rained when the pavement is wet and there are puddles everywhere. Then, fenders are fantastic.

Fenders won't keep you dry for long if it's actually raining, but they will keep you quite dry on wet pavement.

· No Crybabies
11,692 Posts
depends

barbedwire said:
I'm contemplating getting some fenders, but I hardly ever ride in the rain. When it rains, I purposely decide to not ride. So, do you think fenders be a waste of money for me?
I take mine off for half the year here. I figure why carry them around, with extra weight, wind drag, and wear and tear on them when it does not rain here for half the year. So, I think it depends on where you live.

The average rain here in Fresno for the entire month of July and also August is 0.01". Not much more for May through October. It is almost a certainty that it will NOT rain, and I don't think the occasional puddle justifies them.

http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/USCA0406?from=hrly_bottomnav_undeclared

However, if I lived somewhere, like I did in Missouri, where any given day it could rain in the afternoon even if it looked perfectly clear in the morning, I'd leave them on year round.

· Banned
7,191 Posts
Fixed said:
I take mine off for half the year here. I figure why carry them around, with extra weight, wind drag
Bwahhh haa haa haa! Please.. stop! yer killing me! WIND DRAG?

oh, man, that's good.

wind drag.

from fenders.

· Registered
834 Posts
Hell yes...they're worthwhile. My SS MTB is my only bike, and in 'winter mode' it's always got fenders. As another poster has already pointed out, they don't just keep you cleaner; they keep your whole drivetrain way cleaner. Besides, if you've got fenders on yer bike, that totally destroys any credibility you might hope to have with the roadie crowd, which makes 'em worthwhile for that reason alone.:)

· Downhill Juggernaut
1,673 Posts
I guess I'm the only one that likes the fact that help keep all that dirt and crap out of my bike and drivetrain. Plus, I don't get those nasty little rock chips on my downtube, or little shards of glass flung up at me.

Also, most of the areas I ride through have automatic sprinkler systems. That's worse than rain IMO, cause it mixes with the dust and gets everywhere. Like some sort of nasty dirty urban ghetto cement.

Fenders are for more than just rain. Sometimes you gotta think outside the box.

· No Crybabies
11,692 Posts
don't understand

nepbug said:
...but it also is good for chain lube life as well. After installing my fenders I got 600 miles out of one lube application this last winter (it was pretty dry and the snow kept the dust down), and I'm averaging about 200 miles/application through the spring and summer so far.
I don't understand. What difference could fenders make on chain lube? What's the mechanism?

· Banned
7,191 Posts
Fixed said:
I don't understand. What difference could fenders make on chain lube? What's the mechanism?
Fenders do a pretty good job of keeping dust and dirt off your chain. Can't say that I've gotten 600 miles out of one lube, but man, my bike and drive train do stay cleaner.

· Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,062 Posts
I have fenders on my commuters, but not on my road bike. (And I'll ride in the rain no matter what ... it's one of my favorite things to do.)

I do have some clip-ons from Planet Bike that I can throw on my road bike if I need to.

· Registered
157 Posts
buck-50 said:
Fenders do a pretty good job of keeping dust and dirt off your chain. Can't say that I've gotten 600 miles out of one lube, but man, my bike and drive train do stay cleaner.
Exactly.

This would work even better, but alas I don't run singlespeed and can't use a full chain guard.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.