Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 70's Panasonic 1000 sport to commute on. I'd like to put fenders on it, but I'm having trouble finding some that will fit. I tried the Zefal's, but they were too small. I couldn't adjust them, so they wouldn't rub the tire.

The bike has the required eyelets, but the wheels are 27" & the tires are 27 X 1/2". I may eventually put 700's on, but probably not for a long while. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Mr. Versatile said:
.....The bike has the required eyelets, but the wheels are 27" & the tires are 27 X 1/2".
Is the tire size a typo? When I was commuting on a old 12-speed Bianchi Sport with 27" wheels, I found 27x1-3/8 tires could be counted on to rub the SKS fenders I had mounted. Some brands of 27x1-1/4 tires would as well. When I could find them, I preferred 27x1-1/8. Some Dremel work on the mounting hardware can allow the fender to be placed a little higher in the brake bridge/fork. Removing the hardware and using zip-ties to secure the fenders can give even more clearance.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
KWL, thanks for the response. Yep! Tire size was a typo. Should be 27" X 1 1/2". I sent the Zefals back because they rubbed everywhere. Brake clearance wasn't an issue, nor was frame clearance. The stays on the fenders were too short for them to clear the tires. The fenders used a clip type attachment, which, as far as I could see, non-adjustable. I'd still like to put fenders on, but I don't know what brand to try. Those da*m shipping charges are getting expensive.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
SKS might have some that fit, too.

I got some SKS fenders from Rivendell (www.rivbike.com) for my singlespeed, and there's some clearance left with 700x38 tires. They look like they'd fit a 27-inch wheel.
If there's an REI store near you, they stock a lot of fenders, at least around here. Even if it costs a couple of bucks more, you could try them on the spot and save shipping.

·
What'd I do?
1,775 Posts
I used Planet Bike Freddy Fenders, 700/27 x 45cc. No problem with clearance on the front, but the rear wheel was mounted at the front of the dropouts. I ran it fixed, so I don't know if I would have had problems at the back of the dropout (forward facing).

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OverStuffed said:
I used Planet Bike Freddy Fenders, 700/27 x 45cc. No problem with clearance on the front, but the rear wheel was mounted at the front of the dropouts. I ran it fixed, so I don't know if I would have had problems at the back of the dropout (forward facing).
Thanks Overstuffed. I'm going to give those a look. I like to have my rear wheel as far back as I can, but I'll see how it goes.

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
Second the Freddys. I've just put them on my Kona JtS. I can probably run studded cross tires and still have clearance. Nice that they have 'road' (skinny) and hybrid (wide) 700C models. Good choice, very adjustable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts