Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at fenders for 2 of my bikes that have eyelets and bridge holes for fenders. Found a real cool site this past week (no relation) www.jitensha.com that sells fenders and other nice accessories for a touring type bike like a Brooks saddle bag, brass or silver bells, and fenders. Metal, smooth or hammered, chromoplast which I suspect is very similar to what many car mfgers are using these days to replace chrome. Obviously the chromeoplast will never rust or dent, where the metal most likely will. Really not too interested in the plastic Zefal type. I'm wanting to keep the fenders in the same flavor of the bikes; retro 1980 Schwinn solid chrome frame and a 1978 restored Viscount, moltini orange w/creme colored head tube gold paint around the lugs.

My last experience with fenders was when I was about 14. Brown Schwinn Continental with chrome fenders. They dented and rusted. I have seen some aluminum fenders which might not look too bad. Anyone seen the chromoplast?

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Saw a pic once upon a time of wood fenders

Vanilla bike, kind of a townie bike, cherry wood fenders. Also can be seen at Yellowjersey.org No, would not justify the expense. What I am thinking is the 2 bikes that can use the fenders are older and run 27" tires, also have horizontal dropouts and my plan is to have them be able to be SS or geared, fenders or not. Both have a touring type geometry which is why i'm thinking fenders. Both have Brooks saddles, thinking about the Brooks saddle bag and a bell. Touring type of bike.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
The photo doesn't show the wood fenders well, but here's my Vanilla with wood fenders. They were made by a guy "sykes" here in Portland, so they are different from the River City woodies. These are 2-ply laminates rather than the 3-ply versions from RIver City. A couple Barthoud leather flaps from wallbike ad I'm good to go.

I originally had Honjo aluminum fenders, which I tweaked badly in a crash. Once bent and bent back, they were doomed to a sad vibrational fatigue death. They were gorgeous, but the fatigue characteristics of bent aluminum didn't work for me.

The woodies are just stiff enough but also flexible. They don't vibrate at all. I like the alot, and the sykes were about 2/3 the cost of the river city, but I'm not sure if syles is making them anymore.

PS The ability to flex the fenders a bit is important because I have track ends on this bike, so a tight, round, inflexible fender can make it very hard to get the rear wheel in and out.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Woody fenders

I had thought about them, but they would be like putting diamonds on a hog. Fenders would be worth more than the bike! Just guessing. The bike has some sentimental value that I plan to use them on. It was the first 1/2 decent bike I ever bought. I had to have certain features and the bike met those features. I never rode it alot, it was sort of a transition bike. I rode bike alot until I was about 16, slacked off for about 10 years and then got interested again. This was the bike that got me back into the sport. Gave it away to a charity and when I discovered they could not use it and planned on disposing of it, I got it back and completely restored it to better than new condition. So now I am thinking of completing the project and having it available as a novelty type touring bike. Am thinking the Honjo hammered fenders would look great on the bike.

·
Banned
6,492 Posts
Did I read that right? Only $55?

Can't get the site up again, but if those hammertone Honjos are only $55, I'm pretty pissed I bought SKS's for $30.
FWIW, though, the silver sort-of-gummy plastic SKS ones, as sold by Rivendell, are functionally just about perfect. But I might need a set of hammertones for my singlespeed.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,029 Posts
Yup....

Cory said:
Can't get the site up again, but if those hammertone Honjos are only $55, I'm pretty pissed I bought SKS's for $30.
FWIW, though, the silver sort-of-gummy plastic SKS ones, as sold by Rivendell, are functionally just about perfect. But I might need a set of hammertones for my singlespeed.
I am waiting for my pair as we speak.

$53 for the fenders + miscelanneous hardware & shipping.

Len

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yup, the price is right for me also

I would need to have the full hardware kit and probably the $75 Brooks bag they have too, I mean whats a classic touring bike w/o the classic Brooks bag to match the classic Brooks Pro saddle? I figure the hammered ones for me cause if i dent one it should not be as noticable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.