Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure I am not the first to see this, but here is "Dr. Evil's" letter - taken from cyclingnews.com, today.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/open-letter-from-dr-michele-ferrari

Also, has anybody else noticed that Greg seems to have changed his tune regarding Contador? As I recall, Lemond criticized Alberto in the public sphere, citing the impossibility of his watts/kg #s and ascent times... IMO, keep your mouth shut before criticizing a rider if you're going to turn around the following year and cite their potential cleanliness.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Sorry to be a dumbazz. On the Science of Sport link, are they saying you can't base performance on watts because it always changes? Did Lemond say they were not doping in this Tour because the numbers were low? :confused:

On another note, Ferrari clearly states that Lemond wasn't quite on the up n up in one of his tours.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
cheddarlove said:
On another note, Ferrari clearly states that Lemond wasn't quite on the up n up in one of his tours.
If you mean this
But what Greg does not know, or pretends not to know, is that one of such “confidants” actually clearly mentions his name and that of his doctor in relation to doping events.
then you need to re-read it. There is no mention of any race at all, just a veiled threat to disclose "information" from a man whose appeal was won due to the statute of limitations running out on some evidence. Guess we know who got the $300K!

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Ferrari's case was ultimately tossed because doping wasn't illegal in Italy at the time of the alleged crimes. Definite proof of a stupid prosecutor but hardly the ringing endorsement he presents it to be. IIRC that's when they went for the abusing his pharmaceutical privileges charge.

Since as a student of Conconi's he was part of the state sponsored doping program for Olympic athletes any efforts to charge him are probably doomed when the appeal reaches a high enough level anyway, simply to guarantee that can of worms doesn't get opened again.

·
Registered
366 Posts
ultimobici said:
If you mean this

then you need to re-read it. There is no mention of any race at all, just a veiled threat to disclose "information" from a man whose appeal was won due to the statute of limitations running out on some evidence. Guess we know who got the $300K!
OK, I get it. Kind of like Lance telling Lemond to come clean about his 1989 Tour.
Throw the accusations back at him and make the gullible public doubt everything.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
cheddarlove said:
OK, I get it. Kind of like Lance telling Lemond to come clean about his 1989 Tour.
Throw the accusations back at him and make the gullible public doubt everything.
  • 1989 Lemond wins TdF with fastest TT in history, a record that stands for 15 years
  • 200? LA suggests that GL stops talking about LA or he'll find X number of witnesses to GL doping
  • 2010 MF also claims that a friend of a friend knows something
In between several actual team mates, soigneurs & former friends have all claimed that the legend is built on dubious foundations. Couple that with the lack of action to suppress "From Lance to Landis" despite it being pretty much the bulk of "LA Confidentiel" and the lack of action against L'Equipe in the wake of the article "Le Mensonge d'Armstrong"

Meanwhile GL has been throwing stones without any coming back in the 16 years since his retirement.

Interesting.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Dan Gerous said:
Ferrari, he has even less credibility than Floyd... :rolleyes:
Naw, the way it works is that as long as you keep treating people like they are idiots and fools who can't see what is before their own eyes then your credibility is in tack.

If you stop the charade and come clean then you lose all credibility.

You see Fuentes is just a Spanish gynecologist who provides training plans, Ferrari just happens to be an expert in blood manipulation and have riders who have testified under oath (and been suspended as a result) that he told them how to use drugs but really he just provides training plans and as a bonus, an arm around the shoulder to lift one's spirits :)

·
Administrator
13,009 Posts
Dan Gerous said:
Ferrari, he has even less credibility than Floyd... :rolleyes:
Not possible. At best, its a tie. Can't go below zero. :)

·
Administrator
13,009 Posts
It is probably from this dossier that Greg Lemond drew the “rumours” and quotes the numerous “it was saids” in his letter.

But what Greg does not know, or pretends not to know, is that one of such “confidants” actually clearly mentions his name and that of his doctor in relation to doping events.
So much for no ties to Greg and doping. . .

·
For president!
7,802 Posts
Coolhand said:
So much for no ties to Greg and doping. . .
Ferrari is trying to illustrate that the dossier is bogus. If he was insinuating that Lemond is a doper, Ferrari would be saying the dossier which calls him a famous doping doctor is correct. That seems like an odd choice.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
SilasCL said:
Ferrari is trying to illustrate that the dossier is bogus. If he was insinuating that Lemond is a doper, Ferrari would be saying the dossier which calls him a famous doping doctor is correct. That seems like an odd choice.
Well he also says riders never came to him for doping. Then he says (paraphrasing) when they did, he told them not to come back a second time.

·
For president!
7,802 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
Well he also says riders never came to him for doping. Then he says (paraphrasing) when they did, he told them not to come back a second time.
Well obviously Ferrari doesn't have much credibility, but I often found the stories to be a bit larger than life. 20% of the rider's salary for a doping plan seems insane, especially during the height of the EPO era. Dope early and often hardly seems worth big bucks.

·
Administrator
13,009 Posts
But was Greg and his Doctor mentioned for doping in these docs or not? It would seem to be a very easy thing to check.

·
For president!
7,802 Posts
Coolhand said:
But was Greg and his Doctor mentioned for doping in these docs or not? It would seem to be a very easy thing to check.
I don't think the report is available anymore. I tried to find the Donati EPO report or other similar documents and nothing was popping up on google.

Some info on it here, scroll down to heading number 9.

Here's another format, that last one is a bit funky:
http://www.playthegame.org/knowledge-bank/articles/anti-doping-the-fraud-behind-the-stage-891.html

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
SilasCL said:
Well obviously Ferrari doesn't have much credibility, but I often found the stories to be a bit larger than life. 20% of the rider's salary for a doping plan seems insane, especially during the height of the EPO era. Dope early and often hardly seems worth big bucks.
Yeah, I'd bet half of what is in any of these type of things is true, but that half is pretting damning.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts