·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Banned
169 Posts
fornaca68 said:
Nice to see another sport get a negative doping headline for a change. Seven Russian female track and field athletes on the Russian olympic team busted for doping. Makes you wonder how doped up the rest of the Russian olympic teams are generally.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/01/sports/olympics/01doping.html?hp

That's just the tip of the iceberg...they only catch a small percentage of doped athletes....nor will they ever catch more then the tip inspite of what WADA says.

Without reading the link I would have to guess that those ladies were caught with anabolics...they must be doing them on their own because the Russian researchers have at least 3 roids that cannot be detected....all you have to do is alter one carbon.

Much of the dope taken cannot be tested for anyway...ie: HGH and IGF-1 for starters...and nor will they ever be able to control these hormones due to their short half lives and variablity in "levels" from person to person and from hour to hour.

There are literally dozens of biosimlar epo's and O2 transport enhancers that cannot be detected either...the list goes on and on.

It's all about MONEY....any sport that can make you money, via big endorsements or contracts or kickbacks will be doped...it's as simple as that.
I feel sorry for the poor athletes/teams from smaller poor counties, and the strictly ethical teams like the Canadians.

As long as millions are to be made in sport doping simply cannot stop, no matter how tough the controls are, and we delude ourselves to think otherwise.
The money behind doping research is far far greater than the money behind testing research....it's like comparing New York City to Bum- F North Dakota.

Cheers

"Leave me in peace; everybody takes dope."
Jacques Anquetil

"Doping? What doping? Did he or did he not make them play the Marseillaise abroad?" President, Charles de Gaulle on Anquetil

“It’s like when you’re driving. The law says there’s a speed limit of 100 km/h, but everyone is driving at 120 km/h. Why should I be the one who obeys the speed limit? So I had two options: either fit in and go along with the others or go back to being a house painter.” Alex Zulle

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Realgains said:
I feel sorry for the poor athletes/teams from smaller poor counties, and the strictly ethical teams like the Canadians.
If only that was true... though I am more or less certain that Becky Scott (fabulous cross-country skier, now retired, and one of the loveliest persons you could ever meet), and our mens rowing eight (current world champions) are not on drugs, I am pretty sure I cannot say the same thing for some of our other athletes (eg ice hockey players).

·
Fast No More.
770 Posts
oarsman said:
If only that was true... though I am more or less certain that Becky Scott (fabulous cross-country skier, now retired, and one of the loveliest persons you could ever meet), and our mens rowing eight (current world champions) are not on drugs, I am pretty sure I cannot say the same thing for some of our other athletes (eg ice hockey players).
Any Canadian sprinters out there openly idolizing Ben Johnson?

·
Registered
1,736 Posts

·
Fast No More.
770 Posts
Oarsman,

I'm surprised the rowing community has so far remained under the radar. If anyone can benefit from doping, it'd be rowers. I certainly could've used it back in my collegiate rowing days.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Fast Eddie said:
Oarsman,

I'm surprised the rowing community has so far remained under the radar. If anyone can benefit from doping, it'd be rowers. I certainly could've used it back in my collegiate rowing days.
True. Maybe I am being naive, but I have been around rowing for quite a while, have rowed with several Olympic medallists, know a fair number of highly competitive rowers (including several potential medallists) and PEDs just don't seem to be part of the picture, at least in my neck of the woods. Maybe because there really isn't any money in it? Or because it is a ludicrously traditional sport?

But, then again, perhaps all my illusions will be shattered in a couple of weeks.

·
Fast No More.
770 Posts
oarsman said:
True. Maybe I am being naive, but I have been around rowing for quite a while, have rowed with several Olympic medallists, know a fair number of highly competitive rowers (including several potential medallists) and PEDs just don't seem to be part of the picture, at least in my neck of the woods. Maybe because there really isn't any money in it? Or because it is a ludicrously traditional sport?

But, then again, perhaps all my illusions will be shattered in a couple of weeks.
I don't think it's naivete; there isn't a lot of money to be made in the sport, especially in proportion to the hours spend training/traveling/competing. There certainly isn't anything like the ProTour in rowing.

And people think bikes are expensive...

Mike Barnicle wrote a grerat article in the Boston Globe a few Olympics back about Jamie Koven, who IIRC was in one of the US men's eights that won gold, and how he worked for a moving company when he wasn't on the water (Gentle Giants - they employed primarily rowers - really good movers - tall, strong, well-coordinated, responeded well to commands ;) )

Hopefully the worst scandals on the water will be about coaxwains who are too young and/or underweight.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Fast Eddie said:
And people think bikes are expensive...
Indeed. Every time we load up our trailer for a regatta and head off into the city's traffic, I get queasy. We are a masters club primarily; we don't row elite quality boats, but we take easily $300,000 worth of fragile shells to a major regatta. We have a group going to the US Masters in Long Beach in a couple of weeks: 2000 km from Vancouver, stopping in Seattle to pick up boats from the Pocock Rowing Center, four or five days driving each way with a full trailer. I am trying not to think about it (especially since I am unable to go).

·
Fast No More.
770 Posts
oarsman said:
...stopping in Seattle to pick up boats from the Pocock Rowing Center....
My alma mater is a few hours north of Biddeford, Maine, home to Schoenbrod (I guess they went and changed their name to Dirigo a while back). When we were still a club team, barely able to scrape up enough dough to travel, we often served as mules for Schoenbrod, delivering boats to schools we'd be rowing against. Driving around Boston with expensive shells is bad enough; it's worse when they don't even belong to you. Kinda humbling back in the day to drive a brand-new Dirigo down to the Head of the Charles, which probably cost more than all the rickety Intercollegiates that actually belonged to our team, then have another team come over to our trailer, take the boat off, and proceed to kick our ass with it.

Thankfully, our team has improved vastly since then.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Fast Eddie said:
.... Head of the Charles...
Desperately want to go to that one some day. A couple of rowers from our club have raced there in the last few years. One in a single. He came in second two or three years ago. Another one of rowers (who is 60 years old and still pulls a mean erg score) has competed in composite crews a couple of times: winning in one of his events last year.

For our club to get a crew in, though, we have to go through a lottery.

·
Fast No More.
770 Posts
Yeah, the lottery system is tough. We've been lucky enough to field solid boats in the divisions we're already in, so we usually have a good representation from year to year.

We sent a few boats to the Canadian Henley over the years, and even Royal Henley once. Talk about events I desperetely want to go to...

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Fast Eddie said:
Yeah, the lottery system is tough. We've been lucky enough to field solid boats in the divisions we're already in, so we usually have a good representation from year to year.

We sent a few boats to the Canadian Henley over the years, and even Royal Henley once. Talk about events I desperetely want to go to...
Our juniors are on their way to Canadian Henley as we speak.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.