Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· awwww horseapples!!
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One thing people often say in threads about various internet only brands is "come back and give us a review after 1000 miles...."

Well its only been 500, but I am short on patience. I have yet to see a good review of them so I thought I would take a shot at it. Not as a newbie (to either riding or to this forum), but as someone who's winter project was to build a cheap and fun to ride bike that could do it all.

I bought this frame for 2 separate reasons. First I had just had my townie bike stolen, a lovely mtb with slicks that was my first race bike when I was 11 which spent many years collecting dust in my parents basement. Second, I was in a desperate search enough for a rain bike since my two primary rides are a couple of very expensive steel bikes.

I found this bike after a few days of ebaying. How could you go wrong with a frame that costs as much I spend on lunch each week? A few days later it arrived, a shinny and new, straight out of the box I noticed a few problems, which may actually be considered minor. The bike had some of the UGLIEST graphics I have ever seen and it had the word fetish printed on in giant letters. The solution for this was simple, the stickers on the frame were of the quality you could make on your home printer and within 10 minutes I was able to peel off all of them with my fingernail. Second, when they say frame only at fetish cycles, they mean it. No seatpost binder, not even the little plastic doodad that guides the cables under the bb. You get what you pay for. The paint itself is of good enough quality, the solid color suited my utilitarian needs very well.

The weld quality on the frame are exactly what you would expect, snot-tacular. As you can see below they do not have the beauty of Richard Sachs lugs or the elegant lines of the finest carbon fiber frames. They are, however, solid as can be. All of the miles on this bike are hard city and rain miles which have brought nothing but harsh treatment down upon this budget machine. It has been crashed, dropped, ridden off curbs, ridden through pouring rain, and it comes back for more..... in fact the paint has been surprisingly resilient through it all. Let this be proof of the quality of even the most low cost east asian builder. It has convinced me. While its not the smoothest ride in the world I have ridden this bike with no comfort issues and no problems with stiffness.

Built up in full road/rain bike fashion (with race blades not pictured below) it came in at about 20 lbs, pretty damn heavy but I could hardly feel it. This bike accelerates like a rocket. When I have the money I plan on building a race bike with the same exact frame with a much nicer set of components, as the perfect crashable crit machine.

It was after the first 200 miles I realized that I didn't like riding in the rain as much as I thought I did. I found I like staying at home and watching bad action movies in my underpants a lot better. Rebuilt as a commuter, it became one of the hands down fastest (and twitchiest) bikes I have ever ridden. But I love it, its great for the death-defiance that is riding your bike on NYC streets.

As someone who grew up in a bike shop, who's first roadbike was well over $2000; I was amazed at how much fun I have riding this bike and how well it performs. I thought it was going to be so stiff that it would shake the change right out of my pocket, but it doesn't. I get to my destination just fine with all my nickels, dimes, quarters, and pennies.

Take a look at the pictures below, and ask me all the questions you like since I know I have left a lot out of this review. And then go buy one for yourself.

· awwww horseapples!!
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
stihl said:
What was the total bike cost tally may I ask?

Hmmm.... In final, commuter/flar bar setup:

Frame: $60
Raleigh Carbon Fork: $45
Wheels: $20
C.dale Bar & Stem: Free/LBS Parts Bin
Tektro-Cheapo Levers: $8
Flamey Grips: $9
Dura Ace Cranks, Brakes, Seatpost: Free from old fixed gear
Saddle: Free LBS parts bin
Bontrager Hard Case 28c Tires: $25
Headset: $21
BB: $10
Cables/Bits: $12

Total (Give or Take): $210 dollars. Worth every penny.

· awwww horseapples!!
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Srexy said:
Nice about town whip!

I built up an SS from their "Discipline" frame and it's bomb proof also.
See, its stupid names like that which are ruining their chances at greater glory. What tard was sitting around one day and said "I am going to create a bike company that makes nice cheap frames, but I am going to put a bunch of stupid names on them so 99% of the cycling world won't touch them with a 10 foor pole, or at least will pull all the stickers of the second they get them."

Wow, run-on sentence time. Just chance the name, and you will have a wildly popular bike brand.

· Registered
10 Posts
I built a fetish for the same reason

of building a beater bike over the winter months. I brought the frame for $90 off ebay. The frame has Carve carbon stays and 7075 aluminun for the rest of the frame. Fetsih calls it the Velocita. I had a spare Cannondale carbon fork with alu steerer and put together what I intended to be a city bike. I have to say the dam bike rides very smooth. It is heavier than my $4500 15 lb race bike but I ride the fetish all over Washington DC. I put on a pair of Campy Nuetron wheels ( also used and lying around the shop) and dam if this bike is not bombproof. The vibration dampening is pretty good too. Now when I go for my "serious" weekend rides I get on one of my expensive carbon frames and I must say a few times I've looked back at the fetish and have pondered which one to ride. I put a compact crank on the fetish along with in line brake for the flats of my road bars which I do not have on my other bikes. I keep thinking about taking the Fetish apart and making something else but it is just too fun to ride :)

· "It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
awesometown said:
How could you go wrong with a frame that costs as much I spend on lunch each week?
I LIKE IT! Howzabout we adopt the motto "Never spend more on a bicycle frame than you spend on lunch in a week!"

Usually, I adhere to this advice. And I plan on doing so again IMMEDIATELY after I receive my custom frame from Allan Wanta. After that, it's back to old Fujis found on eBay!

- FBB

· awwww horseapples!!
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
fbagatelleblack said:
I LIKE IT! Howzabout we adopt the motto "Never spend more on a bicycle frame than you spend on lunch in a week!"

Usually, I adhere to this advice. And I plan on doing so again IMMEDIATELY after I receive my custom frame from Allan Wanta. After that, it's back to old Fujis found on eBay!

- FBB

Hey, I love my frames whether they cost $60 or $6000. I think this just erases all doubt about the idea that you can have a frame that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, and still be comfortable and a joy to ride. I also think alot of the smoothness of the ride comes from the the nice and comfy 28's this guy rolls on. They smooth out just about anything you can roll over.

· "It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
awesometown said:
I also think alot of the smoothness of the ride comes from the the nice and comfy 28's this guy rolls on. They smooth out just about anything you can roll over.
Ohhhh, yeah! I just ordered my 32mm Paselas for the Wanta frame (that's the custom bike I have on order). My go-fast bike has a 28 on the back and a 25 on the front. Well... it's got a 28 on the front right now until my Nashbar order comes in with the new 25.

- FBB

· awwww horseapples!!
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
fbagatelleblack said:
BTW, I notice that the frame has vertical drops, and you've got a plain-Jane non-adjustable hub. Did you luck out on the chain length, or did you do some magic to make it work out right (like figuring out the right chainring/cog combo)?

Thanks,

FBB

I think I just got lucky. The chain has a tiny bit of sag, but I have never had a problem with throwing the chain. Some how the exact amount of links that the 42/16 setup needed was just enough to keep it almost perfectly tight.

If it does become a problem I'll throw an old rear der. on there and call it a day.

· Registered
154 Posts
I used to live about 2 miles from the "main dealer" in Scottsdale. There was no obvious S&M theme to any of the staff although the head wrench did have his share of piercings ;) The main guy from had a very nice NSX.

Here's my "discipline" I got rid of the chain tamer subsequently. Welds are decent and I like the anodized finish.

· Banned
15 Posts
Srexy said:
I used to live about 2 miles from the "main dealer" in Scottsdale. There was no obvious S&M theme to any of the staff although the head wrench did have his share of piercings ;) The main guy from had a very nice NSX.

Here's my "discipline" I got rid of the chain tamer subsequently. Welds are decent and I like the anodized finish.

A friend of mine has one of those............

If you ever get suck of the Surly gadget, they also make a chain snug (i think it's called that) that attaches to the dropouts, and pulls the axle back to tension the chain. Sorry for the lack of proper terminology tonight........it's late and I'm tired.

Anyways, those are sweet little bikes. I love the dark gun metal looking color.........looks badass in person.

· Banned
15 Posts
awesometown said:
Built up in full road/rain bike fashion (with race blades not pictured below) it came in at about 20 lbs, pretty damn heavy but I could hardly feel it. This bike accelerates like a rocket. When I have the money I plan on building a race bike with the same exact frame with a much nicer set of components, as the perfect crashable crit machine.

Why did it turn out so heavy? Is it the cheapy components?

The frame weight on their site seems to show it around 3.5 to 4lbs.

I'm considering building one of these with an Ultegra kit from Pricepoint...........I'd hope it doesn't weigh in that heavy when I'm done after spending that on it.

· Registered
2,746 Posts
Death Trap said:
Why did it turn out so heavy? Is it the cheapy components?

The frame weight on their site seems to show it around 3.5 to 4lbs.

I'm considering building one of these with an Ultegra kit from Pricepoint...........I'd hope it doesn't weigh in that heavy when I'm done after spending that on it.
With a 4lb frame and a 1+lb fork, it isn't hard to hit 20 lbs. Mine is like 19.8lbs with lightweight wheels on it. I have moved past the weight weenie worries and have enjoyed it for what it is, a solid stiff frame that I don't have to worry about scratching or laying down. I have a few bikes and all of them more expensive, but this one fits like it was made for me and I have really enjoyed riding it.

· The Gimlet Eye
933 Posts
Riz_Aaroni said:
$200 for a bike like that, not bad. Was it a ebay auction by the company or an individual selling it? Doesn't seem like there are any for that price on ebay right now.
The frame was only $60, of which ebay has a bunch in that range now. I think the OP had most of the components already and/or bought the others from here and there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.