FoxyTunes
ForecastFox
Abe Vigoda
Terrorism Threat Level
Adblock
PDF Download Options
gTranslate
Answers

Well, those are the ones I use on a regular basis. I downloaded Sage, Fullscreen Homestar Runner, and Add Bookmark Here, but I couldn't get any of those to work right. In fact, I don't really even know what Sage does.

What do you have? What do you reccomend? I want something cool, people!

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,962 Posts
paint said:
I've got:

FoxyTunes
ForecastFox
Abe Vigoda
Terrorism Threat Level
Adblock
PDF Download Options
gTranslate
Answers

Well, those are the ones I use on a regular basis. I downloaded Sage, Fullscreen Homestar Runner, and Add Bookmark Here, but I couldn't get any of those to work right. In fact, I don't really even know what Sage does.

couple o things,most say what they are/do. All work with 1.5.0.1. It sucks that MozillaFireSomething doesn''t work with .5.0.1 though:(

Mines 1.0
Colorful Tabs 0.3
US DoH Insecurity Idiocy Level 0.1.2.1.1-argh
adblock Filterset.G Updater
GMail Notifier/Delete Button

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I was wondering about that gmail thing. I don't really check my gmail account anymore or I'd get it.

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
In order of importance:

Adblock
Dict
All-in-One Gestures
Copy Plain Text
Forecastfox

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What are the middle 3? I mean, what do they do?

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
paint said:
Yeah, I was wondering about that gmail thing. I don't really check my gmail account anymore or I'd get it.
I switched completely over to gmail a couple months ago. I forward my Comcast mail to my gmail because Comcast has been dog slow lately. I don't use the FF extension but I do use the gmail notifier from Google.

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been leery of most google programs ever since I found out the google desktop thing can make a copy of your hard drive. Yikes!

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
paint said:
What are the middle 3? I mean, what do they do?
Dict is my favorite extension. You highlight a word, right click and it pops up a definition in a small window. I use it primarily as a rudimentary spell checker and thesaurus.

All-in-One Gestures does mouse navigation. For example, right-click and drag to the left navigates back, right-click and drag down, new window, etc. It's programmable. Use it for a little while and you'll find yourself trying to navigate windows explorer with it too.

Copy Plain Text copies web text without formatting. I use this in PO all of the time. Saves time dealing with extraneos crap when you copy and paste from other sites.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Mine.

Adblock and forecastfox. I still have the weather channel's version of the weatherbug installed which I like better than forecastfox though.

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Weatherbug is completely loaded with spyware. Weatherpulse is similar, but it won't suck out your soul like weatherbug. I only use ForecastFox now, but I do miss my realtime temperature icon in the tool bar.

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ahh, so Dict is kind of short for dictionary. Got it. I'm quick on my feet, y'know. I think I like that better than the answer one. Is it associated with a website?

I might try Gestures, but I'm kind of leery of changing the way I navigate. I'm definitely a creature of habit. And stubborn, too.

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
paint said:
I've been leery of most google programs ever since I found out the google desktop thing can make a copy of your hard drive. Yikes!
Google Desktop will only index and copy your docs to central servers if you opt to. I personally would not use that feature but do use Google Desktop for local searches. For email though, ALL ISPs keep email logs so gmail is no more susceptable to subpeona than anything else.

Here's the EFF's link RE: Google Desktop (copy/paste using copy-plain-text)

Google Copies Your Hard Drive - Government Smiles in Anticipation

Consumers Should Not Use New Google Desktop

San Francisco - Google today announced a new "feature" of its Google Desktop software that greatly increases the risk to consumer privacy. If a consumer chooses to use it, the new "Search Across Computers" feature will store copies of the user's Word documents, PDFs, spreadsheets and other text-based documents on Google's own servers, to enable searching from any one of the user's computers. EFF urges consumers not to use this feature, because it will make their personal data more vulnerable to subpoenas from the government and possibly private litigants, while providing a convenient one-stop-shop for hackers who've obtained a user's Google password.

"Coming on the heels of serious consumer concern about government snooping into Google's search logs, it's shocking that Google expects its users to now trust it with the contents of their personal computers," said EFF Staff Attorney Kevin Bankston. "If you use the Search Across Computers feature and don't configure Google Desktop very carefully—and most people won't—Google will have copies of your tax returns, love letters, business records, financial and medical files, and whatever other text-based documents the Desktop software can index. The government could then demand these personal files with only a subpoena rather than the search warrant it would need to seize the same things from your home or business, and in many cases you wouldn't even be notified in time to challenge it. Other litigants—your spouse, your business partners or rivals, whoever—could also try to cut out the middleman (you) and subpoena Google for your files." Source

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I read that article already. I don't frequent PO here, but I do read a current events/politics type message board. I understand how it works, I just don't like it. And no, I didn't stop using Gmail because of the subpoena. I stopped checking it because, well I'm not really sure. I migrate between a couple of addresses.

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
paint said:
Ahh, so Dict is kind of short for dictionary. Got it. I'm quick on my feet, y'know. I think I like that better than the answer one. Is it associated with a website?

I might try Gestures, but I'm kind of leery of changing the way I navigate. I'm definitely a creature of habit. And stubborn, too.
I think there is a DICT standard of some sort. There are numerous servers. The app allows you to select. You should definitely give it a try. The gestures are addictive and... you don't have to use them... everything will still work the same way.

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
But is there anything that will automatically organize my bookmarks for me? :rolleyes:

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, who's gonna download Adblock Plus and tell me if it works well or not?

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
paint said:
I've got:

FoxyTunes
ForecastFox
Abe Vigoda
Terrorism Threat Level
Adblock
PDF Download Options
gTranslate
Answers

What's Abe Vigoda? What does it tell you about him, just whether he's alive?

I used to love SpellBound, but it doesn't work with the new versions... It's basically a spell checker for intRweb forms. For instance, if I had it on, I could spell check what I'm typing right now.

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's just a little picture of Abe Vigoda that says 'alive' or (I assume) 'dead' next to his name. On his birthday it said Happy Birthday! or some such nonsense. If you right click, you can see his Wiki entry, IMDB and NNDB entries. Also, you can recheck his status.

It's just an entertainment thing. :)

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
paint said:
Ok, who's gonna download Adblock Plus and tell me if it works well or not?
Didn't know it existed... thanks for the tip. ;)

It's working fine so far. All my existing filters are in and good.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts