Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fenders for BMC GF01

So, when I'm riding with my Team In Training crew, we can have 30 or more with us. We ride rain or shine, and do paceline. As such, it's an important courtesy to have fenders to save constantly throwing crap into the face of the riders behind. For various reasons, I've gotten away without them, but the time is here to fix my indiscretions. :)

Here's the rub though: I have a GranFondo GF01. If that doesn't seem a problem, look at the geometry on the seat stay. Because of the extra drop down, I've had a problem finding fenders that will fit. Until now, I've used the mud flap style that clips to the seat, but those help more with avoiding crap going up onto you (i.e., the skunk stripe effect) than they do helping those behind you, and still allow a lot of water to be thrown up onto me from the front week (if I'm going to blow the look with fenders, I might as well get full benefit).

Can anyone point me at a set of stock fenders that will fit a GF01 and have enough reach on the back to save the rider behind me some grief?

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Crud Roadracker MKII

Fit perfect on the GranFondo, have a set on mine.
They are finicky to setup at first, you will have to cut the back one like in the instructions. Once they are dialed in though they are perfect.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Agree on the Crud's being your best option. Our group also tries to ride year-round and a buddy has them on a Giant TCR, also not designed to take fenders.

IMHO, the name says it all tho, they're flimsy as hell, awkward to fit and I don't personally dig the the "centering" brushes required to keep the rear aligned to the rims.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Agree on the Crud's being your best option. Our group also tries to ride year-round and a buddy has them on a Giant TCR, also not designed to take fenders.

IMHO, the name says it all tho, they're flimsy as hell, awkward to fit and I don't personally dig the the "centering" brushes required to keep the rear aligned to the rims.
Those aren't centering brushes and they're not needed to keep anything aligned. They're for clearing the brake surface before the pads. I personally don't use the brushes at all and I have zero issues with the fenders. I have the bike the OP is asking about too. I also do not consider them to be flimsy as hell. I don't consider them to be flimsy at all for what they are.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Those aren't centering brushes and they're not needed to keep anything aligned. They're for clearing the brake surface before the pads. I personally don't use the brushes at all and I have zero issues with the fenders. I have the bike the OP is asking about too. I also do not consider them to be flimsy as hell. I don't consider them to be flimsy at all for what they are.
Ahem. May I refer you to item #9 of the manufacturer's own instructions (taken from Crud Roadracer Mk2/);

Yellow Green Text Photograph White

...which includes "This provides a floating self-centering effect, eliminating rattles and rubs"

I stand by my comments, having installed these for my buddy. However, my frame of reference in describing the Crud's as flimsy is the Bontrager NCS fenders on my rain/winter bike.

The Crud's wouldn't be my first choice if there were alternatives, but they'll get the job done for the OP.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I've had two sets of Cruds on two bikes. They're thin brittle plastic and fiddly to mount and keep aligned, IMO. The little brushes that help prevent rubbing didn't last long in wet gritty conditions. Raceblade Long fenders have worked better for me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
So, when I'm riding with my Team In Training crew, we can have 30 or more with us. We ride rain or shine, and do paceline. As such, it's an important courtesy to have fenders to save constantly throwing crap into the face of the riders behind. For various reasons, I've gotten away without them, but the time is here to fix my indiscretions. :)

Here's the rub though: I have a GranFondo GF01. If that doesn't seem a problem, look at the geometry on the seat stay. Because of the extra drop down, I've had a problem finding fenders that will fit. Until now, I've used the mud flap style that clips to the seat, but those help more with avoiding crap going up onto you (i.e., the skunk stripe effect) than they do helping those behind you, and still allow a lot of water to be thrown up onto me from the front week (if I'm going to blow the look with fenders, I might as well get full benefit).

Can anyone point me at a set of stock fenders that will fit a GF01 and have enough reach on the back to save the rider behind me some grief?
Have you tried SKS Longboards? I'm pretty sure a guy I've ridden with has the same set up (definitely the same bike). SKS fenders have a movable/adjustable bridge so you can place it pretty down low to suit. Maybe I'm missing something?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Yeah, it's a tough one because the forward nature of the GF01 rear brake bridge prevents you from using fenders that don't allow an adjustable mount.

You didn't say if it was the disc frame or not, so I'm assuming the latter.

SKS Longboards should work if you have sufficient tire clearance under the brake caliper.

However, if you can get some frame-mounted eyelet adapters, it will greatly expand your fender options (assume these ship with the Longboards).

Since tire clearance can be a problem, a lot of our crew use SKS Raceblades. The standard one doesn't provide full coverage;

Line Musical instrument accessory Automotive window part Bicycle part Steel

...so you still get muck collecting around the front derailleur/chainset and the back of your legs.

Some use the SKS Raceblade Long, which I call Lego Fenders due to the clip-on sections either side of the brake calipers;

Bicycle frame Bicycle accessory Bicycle part Line Bicycle handlebar

Although these are sturdier than the Crud's, of the handful of guys I know using them, many are missing the forward section of the front fender, and at least one guy is missing the forward section of the rear fender. Apparently due to the plastic clips giving out from vibration etc. Some guys have drilled and installed bolts to hold the fenders to the mounting brackets.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts