Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Leaving for a ride this .morning dropped the chain into the small ring as I was getting going and the drive bound up tight. Stopped and looked down and the chain back wrapped over itself. I couldn't figure out how to undo it even with the rear wheel off without pulling the crank. So I just grabbed a different bike and fixed it later when I got back. I saw someone else do this a couple years ago, bu no idea what happens to cause it. What a PIA! Fortunately I was only a couple hundred.feet from the house when it happened.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Leaving for a ride this .morning dropped the chain into the small ring as I was getting going and the drive bound up tight. Stopped and looked down and the chain back wrapped over itself. I couldn't figure out how to undo it even with the rear wheel off without pulling the crank. So I just grabbed a different bike and fixed it later when I got back. I saw someone else do this a couple years ago, bu no idea what happens to cause it. What a PIA! Fortunately I was only a couple hundred.feet from the house when it happened.
It's called chain suck. Google it. Worn chainring(s) are the typical cause.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the rings only have a couple thousand miles on them and the chain has a few hundred.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
No, the real issue he is talking about is how it can be surprisingly difficult to untangle a chain like that. Some people end up pulling a pin to break the chain and put it back together. However, OP seems to have figured it out eventually.

·
Registered
191 Posts
No, the real issue he is talking about is how it can be surprisingly difficult to untangle a chain like that. Some people end up pulling a pin to break the chain and put it back together. However, OP seems to have figured it out eventually.
It's not all that hard but my hands get all black with dirt; the last time it happened I went through both my hand wipe packages and I still messed up my bar tape.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Exactly my point - what is done can't be undone it seemed, it was like a rubrics cube - but worse. I'm sure I could have figured it out eventually without pulling the crank but that was the easiest route considering proximity to home.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
I rolled up on a guy getting his bike out of his truck with this problem a while back. He was ready to just put the bike back in the truck and not ride that day. He was totally covered in black lube stuff.

I had to take off the rear wheel to get it back to good. Carrying nitrile gloves in the saddle bag is always a good thing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts