Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While kykr was up north kayaking, chasing (or being chased by) bears and being a mosquito pincushion for a week at the end of July, my FIL was in TN building dog houses (aka puppy palaces) and working on other projects for the Malamute breeder/rescuer that we know; patron saint of our two. Being retired he has quite the busy schedule to keep and he had a few days on another road trip with nothing to do and right in the neighborhood. Being a dog lover and former home builder among other professions made him an easy target. Of course, it just so happened that it was during the week that we had been planning as a paddling trip for so many months...

She had some awful ice storm damage over the winter and I was there to help out for a couple of days in early spring, but even with lots of others helping out there's still work to be done.* It's a low-budget operation with every cent (and then some) going to care for dogs.* Some are champions, but some just needed a home.* One was wandering down the road on a brutally hot day - long sad story and he's got a home for the rest of his life. Then there was poor old Celeste who's owners brought her to the pound just before Christmas since she'd be in the way for their party. She was such a sweet one and I'm glad to have met her a couple of times before she went on to her reward. Several volunteers drove her from the east coast to TN, then she was under expert care for arthritis and plenty of other things for the rest of her short time there.

Some well-deserving Malamutes (and others, some of the rescues aren't Mals) have nice big brand-new puppy palaces, and plenty of other projects were completed. She's a very strong willed and independent person who likes some occasional help, and I'm looking at the calendar once again myself... Best thanks I can give for the two wonderful furry kids I have, and I'm so glad my FIL was able to lend a hand.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
I never knew my FIL. Cool that you do.

How were teh bears and like that?

Also, FISHT!

·
still shedding season
8,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
See the black clump in the grass near the pick-a-nick table? Bear pewpie. Apparently Smokey still has the same outlook on fire.

Incidentally, this is where I'll be hiding out while DrRoe is in shy-town over Labor Day. Lots of signs of bear activity right around here so I'll be prepared on that trip (pour bacon grease around someone else's tent, bring extra camera battery and memory cards).

·
You Phillip mah census
4,665 Posts
kykr13 said:
(pour bacon grease around someone else's tent, bring extra camera battery and memory cards).
That's truly evil...but completely understandable. LOL!

·
Frog Whisperer
40,886 Posts
I loved my father-in-law.................sigh. Good for him Kykr....me I don't build dog houses but i spend plenty of time IN them......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts