Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

· Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't see why everyone, well most people, think Cavendish is an A$$? Sorry, that crash @ Swiss really wasn't his fault or anyones. In my opinion it was just an unfortunate situations. If you look at the video, I see Hausler putting a little shove but I'm sure he was just protecting himself but that shove was enough to create a dominio effect. I also believe they both were crossing each other lines. At that moment, everything was flying so fast, a slight turn in a tight situation is hard to control when everyone is fighting for the position. Come on people? Really? I really like both Cav and Haus and I'm not putting a blame on either of them. Before that, I don't believe he's as cocky as everyone makes him to be. I'm open to be wrong here but I've been on top of cylcing news and find it amusing that most cyclists in RBR don't appreciate him. Fill me in, I'm open to be wrong and will look at it with an open mind. :confused:

· Banned
7,756 Posts
WAZCO said:
I don't see why everyone, well most people, think Cavendish is an A$$? Sorry, that crash @ Swiss really wasn't his fault or anyones. In my opinion it was just an unfortunate situations. If you look at the video, I see Hausler putting a little shove but I'm sure he was just protecting himself but that shove was enough to create a dominio effect. I also believe they both were crossing each other lines. At that moment, everything was flying so fast, a slight turn in a tight situation is hard to control when everyone is fighting for the position. Come on people? Really? I really like both Cav and Haus and I'm not putting a blame on either of them. Before that, I don't believe he's as cocky as everyone makes him to be. I'm open to be wrong here but I've been on top of cylcing news and find it amusing that most cyclists in RBR don't appreciate him. Fill me in, I'm open to be wrong and will look at it with an open mind. :confused:
Because nice people share--you know--like the top spot on the podium! Now losing--that's something different. It's what nice people do!

· Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SwiftSolo said:
Because nice people share--you know--like the top spot on the podium! Now losing--that's something different. It's what nice people do!
Could you be a little more specific? Like I said, I'm here w/ an open mind and that response is not enough to convince me otherwise.

· Registered
456 Posts
I don't believe the dislike is limited to RBR. :thumbsup:

The video I see (and apparently the one the race officials viewed) shows Cav moving all the way from the right side to the left. Denial - it ain't just a river in Africa.

Let's try this another way....what has he done in the last year to make anyone want to like him?? Caused crash, spit on Haus, thump his chest, piss & moan, make excuses, drop out mid-race...even played the grandma card. :eek:

He needs to apprentice under Jens Voight for a season.

· Banned
7,756 Posts
WAZCO said:
Could you be a little more specific? Like I said, I'm here w/ an open mind and that response is not enough to convince me otherwise.
The truth is, everybody hates a winner. Win once or twice and the masses will respect you. Win consistently and they will manufacture reasons to hate you. Winning eventually becomes a lonely endeavor--especially when your inevitable weakness begins to show.

From the actual evidence and what I have seen, Cav is about as nice a guy as you are likely to meet.

· waterproof*
41,745 Posts
Look, lots of bike racers are totally different people "off the bike" as opposed to the last kilometer.

And, it's easy to be a nice guy "off the bike". But in the last K, we find out who's going to step over the line for the sake of a win.

That's why Cav is an ass.

· This space for sale
789 Posts
SwiftSolo said:
The truth is, everybody hates a winner.
Not all winners are hated. Roger Federer and Tiger Woods (prior to scandal) come to mind as two sportsman who consistently win but aren't hated.

Champions who win and loose with the same grace will always be respected. Winners who are bad losers become there own worst enemies.

· Registered
857 Posts
I'm with you.

Ive held my hands previously but there were cyclists, a lot of cyclists all over the place and far more aggressive only seconds before he final sprinters formed the lead. Watch the video, there's at least 3 guys back there who are weaving literally 5 feet left to right and back. Cav weaved about a foot or less to his left before the accident happened. This is far from an intentional block. Given the fact that it is a pro tour, these other so called sprinters should have had their act together and reacted accordingly but I digress, accidents do happen.

Here is how I see it. Its exactly like a rear end accident in an automobile. Regardless if I brake checked you, regardless if I went from 60mph to a grinding halt in the snow, if you rear end me, you are at fault. You should be aware and responsive in the car, and as a pro level cyclist and sprinter.

Cav was in the lead at the time the accident occurred. We know he was in front because the guy behind him ran over his wheel. Cav didn't run over his own wheel and cause an accident because he was in the front, he was #1. When you are in the front, you can't very well look behind you during a 35 mph sprint to see what else is going on in the back.

Lets face it, the chest pounding two finger salute is what Cav is paying for, this was just an excuse to humble him. I looked at the video's, Ive read the comments and Ive seen the illustrations. Fact remains Cav was not any more out of line then any of the other sprinters. Fact is, someone ran over Cav's wheel and broke it in half, not because of Cav, because someone else didn't have the good sense to sprint, weave, avoid and do what it takes to be the #1 sprinter.

But this was clearly an unfortunate accident and a part of racing. To blame Cavendish entirely is unfair but hopefully everyone learned a lesson. Hopefully Cav is a little more refined and does not give up good legs. Hopefully the rest of the field will "respect" the person who is up front, or, they can just run over another wheel and cry unfair on the next grand spill.

· Registered
3,245 Posts
I got to talk to Cav a couple of times at the Tour of MO. He was nice to me and the rest of the crowd. Much more so that some of the other pros around at the same time. Yes he can be brash and cocky. Many winners are. I'll stay a fan.

· Banned
7,756 Posts
dougydee said:
Not all winners are hated. Roger Federer and Tiger Woods (prior to scandal) come to mind as two sportsman who consistently win but aren't hated.

Champions who win and loose with the same grace will always be respected. Winners who are bad losers become there own worst enemies.
Some responses to the question "why do people hate Roger Federer" resulting from a simple search. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080512054753AAmGb6l

"Obviously you have either never watched a post match press conference after a loss or you have watched with rose colored glasses. Federer will NEVER and I mean NEVER outright compliment his opponent's play when he has lost nor does he outright accept defeat graciously. Any acknowledgment of his opponent's play in defeating him is always a back handed compliment at best and he never accepts defeat based on the merit of his opponent or his poor play on a given day. As far as Federer is concerned, every time he loses there is an excuse. The sun, the noise, the ref, a mysterious illness that is never mentioned until he loses .....on and on it goes. Federer comes off as smug, arrogant, and way too full of himself. None of us are in the locker room and yes, he is regarded as one of the more friendly players on the tour. Got me !! All I know is that long ago, back when he hadn't won a thing yet, I was a big Federer fan. The bloom came off that rose really quickly. I will say it: I can't stand the sight of him. I couldn't be more pleased with his results in 2008 so far. Maybe he started believing his own press and thought he walked on water. Oops, I just heard a resounding splash "

2nd response:
"I'd have to agree with a lot of what Bleeding Pinstripes has said. Federer is a very gracious winner but he is a sore loser, most of the time. His interview after his loss to Djokovic at the Aust Open was a disgrace to his reputation and to the tournament - (talking about not watching the final and not caring about result..) No one likes to lose, esp when you are No.1 but don't be disrespectful. I don't hate him though. i just don't think he's as 'nice' as people may think."

Remember this truism: "show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser"

· Registered
346 Posts
dougydee said:
Its his general lack of humility that gets to me. His lack of respect makes me not want to like him.
But your description fits Lance, to my mind at least, perfectly, yet people love him.:confused:

There's a nice opinion piece on Cav here: http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/474216/the-wednesday-comment.html

I don't have a strong opinion on Cav really, but I really dislike the modern tendency to believe that making bland, media friendly comments in interviews is a virtue, and I like it that Cav doesn't

· Registered
1,067 Posts
moabbiker said:
Too many of his distasteful antics. Crashing into Haussler the most recent example. But also things like pointing at his crotch while he crossed the line as winner didn't help build a good reputation.
this one stuck out to me as pretty classless.

I do think the refs/organizers look at his sprints with a fine tooth comb compared to others though.

Chad

· Registered
4,459 Posts
No class

redlizard said:
I don't believe the dislike is limited to RBR. :thumbsup:

The video I see (and apparently the one the race officials viewed) shows Cav moving all the way from the right side to the left. Denial - it ain't just a river in Africa.

Let's try this another way....what has he done in the last year to make anyone want to like him?? Caused crash, spit on Haus, thump his chest, piss & moan, make excuses, drop out mid-race...even played the grandma card. :eek:

He needs to apprentice under Jens Voight for a season.
You forgot the "FU all" gesture. Mario would celebrate a win with class, make you happy for him. Mark's celebrations come off as disrespectful. He turns off fans for the same reasons Terrel Owens turned off fans. You like watching him sprint, but you get turned off when he wins.

· Registered
1,067 Posts
Jesse D Smith said:
You forgot the "FU all" gesture. Mario would celebrate a win with class, make you happy for him. Mark's celebrations come off as disrespectful. He turns off fans for the same reasons Terrel Owens turned off fans. You like watching him sprint, but you get turned off when he wins.
What is he doing int he 1st picture?

and is the last picture suppose to be the "bird"?

Chad

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.