Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
gazing from the shadows
27,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Close ups. The colors are not quite right, but you get the idea. The color in the lower leg comes off more subtle, like in the full panel shots. The color in the top is much more intese in real life.

and of course you are not seeing it as it should be see, in motion.

No more ink for a while, until at least next winter.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ah, I did have this one! In the sun, with more accurate color rendition on the lower leg.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
incredible, hoo. gotta go back and look a few more times...BRB

·
gazing from the shadows
27,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
some various other shots to complete the 360 view. The end.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Sorry.

The work is quite nice, but really, i can't imagine having so much ink in my skin. NTTAWWT.
I know you don't really care, but to each his own.....

·
gazing from the shadows
27,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good thing it is not your skin then!

I have no desire for small tattoos. I plan a lot more, both legs and up the back, but that will probably be it.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
dr hoo said:
Good thing it is not your skin then!

I have no desire for small tattoos. I plan a lot more, both legs and up the back, but that will probably be it.
i like small tattoos. quantity, baby! jeebus, after the last few weeks (and thursday nite!) i'm looking like graffiti. :)

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Good thing ;) Glad you like it and it IS really nice work.

·
Registered
727 Posts
wicked stuff, hoo! Love the colouring you chose- great variety of colour but it all gels together REALLY well. Did that start off with a smaller piece and build, or did you have the intention all along of one really big piece? Again, fantastic artwork there buddy!!

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Wow Hoo that is beautiful. Congratulations! I see a lot of the regular tats, it is really fantastic to see one that is so artistic, thanks for sharing.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is one piece. The colors are the artist's choice, based on the original. When it came time to color, I said "do what you want". And he did!

Here is a pic of the source material:

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
awesome. just f*cking awesome.

·
Soon to be banned
14,475 Posts
dr hoo said:
It is one piece. The colors are the artist's choice, based on the original. When it came time to color, I said "do what you want". And he did!

Here is a pic of the source material:

Ukiyo-e from the Edo period? Just beautiful!

·
gazing from the shadows
27,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
spyderman said:
Ukiyo-e from the Edo period? Just beautiful!
The artist is Kyosai Kawanabe, and the scroll was done a few years after the official end of the Edo period. He is often called a Ukiyo-e artist, but really he was much, much more. An amazing guy who could and did work in a wide variety of styles.

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
That's pretty amazing. It's one of the best I've seen.

Questions: How will it hold up over the years? Will you need regular touch-ups? Will it lose much detail as you age?

·
gazing from the shadows
27,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
KenB said:
That's pretty amazing. It's one of the best I've seen.

Questions: How will it hold up over the years? Will you need regular touch-ups? Will it lose much detail as you age?
All tattoos fade and the lines spread over the years. However, sun is the real enemy. Luckily, bike shorts cover most of the upper leg, and I do use SPF50 on the lower. Still, the bottom half will look good even faded. It will just get a bit lighter. Lots of people like black and gray for that reason, because fading just lightens everything.

Lines spreading happen with time, which is why tiny details are a bad idea. Traditional Japanese designs have large elements partially for this reason. With large areas, small changes don't matter much.

When I am 70 it should still look good, just lighter and not quite so crisp. But I bet it will get me action at the old folks home ;)

·
midnight melon mounter
6,621 Posts
Amazing

I can't imagine something more difficult to tattoo than transparent water. What's the story with the underwater dragon?

·
gazing from the shadows
27,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Alex-in-Evanston said:
I can't imagine something more difficult to tattoo than transparent water. What's the story with the underwater dragon?
The story? Ah, that is long and complicated, involving ongoing gods stuff and the sword of the emperor. And not quite as heroic as depicted, but that is what artistic license is all about, right?

Main story of the print:

Susanoo-no-mikoto, expelled from Takamagahara, descended to Mt.Sentsu in Izumo district, which is called Torikami.

Then, to his surprise, a chopstick came floating down the river. from upstream. Thinking that there must be people living upstream, Susanoo-no-mikoto walked up the river.

There an old couple named Ashinaduchi and Tenaduchi were crying with a beautiful young woman named Kushinada-hime between them.

When Susanoo-no-mikoto asked why, the old couple explained that they had eight daughters, but an eight-headed, eight-tailed serpent had come to eat their daughters one by one every year for the past seven years and that it was now the time for him to come and eat their last daughter.

They said that the serpent's eyes were like red cherries, his one body had eight heads and eight tails, his length was such that he spanned eight valleys and eight mountain peaks, and his appearance was really horrible.

Listening to the story, and fascinated by Kushinada-hime's beauty, Susanoo-no-mikoto made a deal that if they let him marry their beautiful daughter, he would kill the serpent.

Susanoo-no-mikoto turned Kushinada-hime into a hair-comb, and placing this in his hair-bunch, asked Ashinaduchi and Tenaduchi to make eight doors in the fence and place eight barrels of strong sake (rice wine) at each door.

Before long the eight-headed serpent came, drank the sake with relish, and becoming drunk, lay down and slept. Then Susanoo-no-mikoto took out a sword and hacked the drunken serpent. Finally he killed the serpent and hacked it into pieces, upon which a fine sword appeared from its tail.

http://www6.pref.shimane.jp/kodai/en/shinwa/a_susano/sa_3.html

And that sword he found in the tale?

The Kusanagai no Tsurugi

Recorded in the Kojiki,(record of ancient matters) and the Nihon Shoki (The Chronicle of Japan) the oldest existing written records of Japanese history, is the story of the imperial regalia sword of the Japanese Emperor. Written in the eighth century, most of its early records are considered to be mythical. It is written that the storm God Susanoo no Mikoto slayed an eight-headed and eight-tailed giant serpent called Yamata-no-Orochi whilst saving Princess Kushinada-hime. Susanoo got the serpent drunk on sake and killed it. Then, as he cut open its tails, he found a sword (known as Ama no Murukumo no Tsurugi - The Heavenly Gathering of Clouds Sword) that he presented to his sister Amaterasu Omi Kami the Sun Goddess.

Amaterasu later gave the Ama no Murukumo no Tsurugi to her grandson Ninigi, when he came down to Earth. Ninigi in turn gave it to his great grandson Emperor Jimmu (The first emperor of Japan) along with a mirror and jewel (magatama). These three treasures came to be known as the Imperial Regalia: symbols of imperial authority and legitimacy, providing the link between the imperial family and their divine ancestry. According to The Nihon shoki, Ise shrine was established by Yamato-hime no Mikoto, the daughter of the legendary Emperor Suinin (reigned ca 29 B.C. to 70 A.D.), as a residing place for the Imperial regalia. She later loaned the sword to her nephew Prince Yamato Takeru no Mikoto when he was leaving to subjugate the Ainu.

A famous account of Prince Yamato Takeru no Mikoto and the Ama no Murukumo no Tsurugi came when he was surrounded by the Ainu whilst hiding in the long grass. The Ainu set fire to the grass in order to flush him out or kill him. Prince Yamato Takeru used the sword to cut down the grass and escaped. Accounts of this event vary slightly with another version, which implies that the sword had magical powers and flew out of the scabbard by itself to cut down the long grass - thus saving the young Prince. From this time onward the sword was to be known as the Kusanagi no Tsurugi (The Grass Cutting Sword).

This sword was to be the subject of more controversy in 1185 at the Battle of Dan-no-Ura, the culmination of the Gempei wars between the Taira and Minamoto clans. The three items of the imperial regalia were thrown into the sea when the child Emperor Antoku drowned in the arms of Nii Dono, wife of Taira Kiyomori. Legend has it that the Jewel and Mirror floated to the surface and were saved but the sword was lost. Later accounts report that this was not the actual Kusanagi no Tsurugi, but a copy and that the original still resides in Atsuta Jingu in Nagoya to this day.

http://www.traditionaloshigata.com/articles/kusanagi.htm

The dragon in the print and tat does have smaller heads behind the main one, and Kyosai did represent the serpent as a dragon. And he kind of eliminated the "get it drunk and sneak up on it" part of the tale. Makes for more dynamic art that way.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts