Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've been waiting for a clear enough night to see Saturn in the new telescope and tonight was it!

Quinn and I went out front after dinner and I had her point out various objects: Orion, Mars, Pleiades, Polaris, Sirius, Saturn and Cassiopeia. She's getting pretty good -- she knows all of these now. Since this was also the first clear night that the Moon has been up she wanted to look at it first. There was just enough shadow to bring out the highlights and depth of the craters along the 'edge' but it was actually so full and bright that it was mostly washed out (need to get a few filters) and not as cool as a cresent would be.

After about a half hour of the Moon, Saturn was high enough that I figured we'd get a good view. I've never seen Saturn myself outside of pictures so I was kinda hopeful. I put in the 9mm eye piece, dial in the scope, focus and WOW! There it was, in color, Cassini boundary faintly visible and wait..... that tiny, tiny little spec..... that's..... Titan! I quick move it back to the top of the view and let Quinn look. She's pretty blown away. It took a couple looks before she finally saw Titan and she was surprised at how fast the planet moved.

Soon thereafter, Mrs. B comes home and, like me, has never seen Saturn either. She asks what we're looking at since it's obvious that we're not looking at the moon so I center it back up and tell her to take a look. Her response made one of the neighbors turn their lights on to see what the commotion was.

There's just something innately cool about looking at a point of light in the sky and then seeing it revealed. I gotta get a camera for this thing!

This pretty close to what we saw only much more sharply focused than this image and slightly smaller:

·
Bored beyond belief.
1,257 Posts
Nah, that's filmed on a sound stage.

BUT, it is cool as hell.

Way cool.

·
here comes trouble
10,045 Posts
That's awesome! I had a telescope when I was in middle school, but I got rid of it because there were too many city lights (suburban Atlanta near a shopping district) for me to see anything significant.

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
Wow Ken! That is really cool. Now this is quality daughter-father time.
Cheers, Wayne

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
wait until you see jupiter and its moons! freaking awesome!!!!!!

·
Arrogant roadie.....
4,232 Posts
Heh, he......can you get a picture of Uranus??? He, he...I said "Ur-anus".....he, he.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts