Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after nearly five months being down with the sickness from he!! I've finally gotten back on the bike and am taking an insane attempt to get back in shape in time for the Deathride. After doing several very wimpy rides around town, my wife decided we needed to head to Greenville, CA for the Indian Valley Century. I wasn't all that enthusiastic, but decided to go anyway. So, with the OK from my doctor and a pocket full of pills, I headed up to Greenville. My idea was to ride the 32 miler, but when I got to that point I felt like a sissy and rode to the turnaround for the metric century. Standing around watching people head up the road without me had me feeling like I was an even bigger sissy, so with encouragement from Mrs. Ridgetop we headed up to Antelope Lake and I ended up doing the slowest 103 miles I've ever done. I'm glad I did it and mentally I really needed it. I felt like garbage afterward but overall I'm doing pretty well. Anyway, enough of this. Here's the pics.

Starting out from our little room at the Hideaway Motel in Greenville we headed out at a lazy pace through some unbelievably green meadows and hills. This was the first time in three years on this ride that we didn't have rain or snow. It actually made it into the 80's this year. I wore my Lounge Jersey for its first real ride and got no flats or other issues :).

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Onto the Lunch Stop and Beyond

There are actual to goodness cowboys still operating in this valley. This one little calf can definitely vouch for that. Ouch!! Lunch was an awesome mix of southwestern style chicken, beans, tortillas, etc. If you love a great lunch stop this ride is for you. This little Valley really goes out of their way to put on a great ride. I do highly recommend it for anyone living in the Central or Sacramento Valley that doesn't mind driving up.

As can be seen below, Antelope Lake had a couple of really bad forest fires that torched the place over the past couple of years. Kind of ruined the scenery.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Back to the Motel

What can I say. It was slow, but I survived! :thumbsup: :D

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,037 Posts
1) You knew you were doing the full century the whole time, didn't you?
2) Get a tan.

Srsly, I'm really happy for you that you're feeling better and hitting the saddle again.

·
sometimereader
1,202 Posts
Ridgetop said:
As can be seen below, Antelope Lake had a couple of really bad forest fires that torched the place over the past couple of years. Kind of ruined the scenery.
Oh yeah, the scenery sucked - must of made the whole ride a waste of time :rolleyes:

Really great to hear you can do this. If your only complaint from it is being tired, I think you're on your way. (Which means that soon you'll be doing stuff that's out of reach for mortals.)

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Trust me on this; slower almost always = better! :thumbsup:

MB1
Darn slow.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
It's good to see you back on the bike. Thanks for the pics. I really like the profile of the ride. There's nothing like that around here.

·
It's not TOO Cold!
2,498 Posts
Great to see that you are back on the bike.

Great images too.

Forest Fire is better than the pine beetle kill we have here :mad2:

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Ridgetop said:
Well, after nearly five months being down with the sickness from he!! I've finally gotten back on the bike and am taking an insane attempt to get back in shape in time for the Deathride.....

.... I felt like garbage afterward but overall I'm doing pretty well. Anyway, enough of this. Here's the pics. :)
:thumbsup: Glad you`re back in the saddle, RT- have an awsome summer and good luck with your recovery!

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I kind of knew I was going to do the 100 after the first 30 miles or so. I also kind of knew that unless I passed out, my stomach exploded all over the bike, or I had a stroke I was going to finish the darn thing.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Slow is good. Gives me time to take pics and enjoy the food.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
I'm so happy to see a ride report from you again. I know you're happy to be posting one.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Thanks for the great pics - that looks like a nice ride!

I too am trying to train for the deathride, or rather trying to decide whether it's wise to train for it, given neck surgery in mid March....

Charlie

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Ridgetop said:
Slow is good. Gives me time to take pics and enjoy the food.
Sounds like me at century events - I figure if I'm paying for staffed/stocked stops, I'm going to stop and grab something at half of them (min) :thumbsup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts