Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got around to building the Knobby X up this weekend.. can't wait to take it out for a real ride.
Still need to finish a couple of things; change headset, seat and finetune the shifting.
but a quick spin around the block and I like it, do have some toe overlap with the front wheel, might be better once I'm clipped in though.
Anyone use the CrankBros directset's? im thinking of trying one out instead of a King headset but would like some input first.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Very Nice

I have an older KnobbyX and really like it but want to get a new wheelset. How is your King wheelset built-up? What are those that you have on it now, i nthe picture? I noticed you have a Kelly Mountain bike, how do you like that, how heavy is it?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The King wheelset I have are King hubs (road) laced to Mavic Openpro's with DT Revolutions 3x. The wheels that are on it now came from the Fuji, Shawla Zero's or something like that seem decent enough just not to light.
The Kelly Deluxe (mtb) is great, probably the bike I like the most and get's the most attention it's the reason I wanted to get the knobby. Not sure an exact weight on it, but for a steel bike with a Fox fork it's pretty light.

speedo990 said:
I have an older KnobbyX and really like it but want to get a new wheelset. How is your King wheelset built-up? What are those that you have on it now, i nthe picture? I noticed you have a Kelly Mountain bike, how do you like that, how heavy is it?

·
Is not a clown car
2,191 Posts
Is that really a 1 1/8" headset? I'm not sure how many of those Chris really made, but they are rare as flightless pigs.

As far as the directset goes, I have one, its fine, but I'm not so sure I'd heartedly recommend it. For just a few dollars more go with the Cane Creek 100. Same great quality of the 110, but with out the final machining. That's if the bike really is a 1 1/8". If its 1", go King. Or Campy. I have a Chours on mine.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, 1 1/8 indeed.. straight stays as well so I didn't have to run mtb crank.
thanks for the info on the directset, Ill probably end up going with the King.. I cant find the 100 I only see the 110.

unclefuzzy_ss said:
Is that really a 1 1/8" headset? I'm not sure how many of those Chris really made, but they are rare as flightless pigs.

As far as the directset goes, I have one, its fine, but I'm not so sure I'd heartedly recommend it. For just a few dollars more go with the Cane Creek 100. Same great quality of the 110, but with out the final machining. That's if the bike really is a 1 1/8". If its 1", go King. Or Campy. I have a Chours on mine.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Man that Surly is Bad @$$, what's the price on that headset? thanks for the part# now I see it, looks like anywhere from $75 to $100 online.
do you have a website to purchase thru?

unclefuzzy_ss said:
The 100 is relatively new. QBP carries it. Silver and black are the only colors available. Both are not the shiney type of finish. The black would look good with your stem/post set up. HD2341 is the part number. 8 in stock as I type this at 10:30pm central.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
the only

derrgti said:
Yes, 1 1/8 indeed.. straight stays as well so I didn't have to run mtb crank.
thanks for the info on the directset, Ill probably end up going with the King.. I cant find the 100 I only see the 110.
slopping TT, 1 1/8 HT, 130 spaced Kelly's I ever saw were both under sponsored riders during Kelly's last year. A friend has/had one. He also said it was a bit lightr than his other Kelly. Is yours Black? His was a deep rootbeer brown, but an Elite Woman had the Black

oh and NICE BIKE!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This one is actually still 135mm, just tighted the rear hub until it squeezed it together.
it is Black, and it's previous owner was a women not sure if she was an elite racer or not, but she was a racer and I think she was in Mich. or Minn. so it's possible this was that one.(what size was it?)
I have seen a couple of these for sale though recently, just smaller and there was a guy selling a Lucious X on ebay a few months ago but he wanted $1300 for just the frame that one would deff be lighter with the S3 tubing.

atpjunkie said:
slopping TT, 1 1/8 HT, 130 spaced Kelly's I ever saw were both under sponsored riders during Kelly's last year. A friend has/had one. He also said it was a bit lightr than his other Kelly. Is yours Black? His was a deep rootbeer brown, but an Elite Woman had the Black

oh and NICE BIKE!

·
Is not a clown car
2,191 Posts
That Luscious belongs to a guy that works at my shop. VERY nice frame. Very light, and stiff. A racer for sure. Definitely lighter than my 61cm ox Plat. bike, but his is smaller than mine. $1300 is a good price actually. Its a 57, and its just too small for him. He's bummed about it not working out. He replaced the Kelly with TWO Independents off of eBay. Oh to be single and with a good job....

I'd sell that Headset for $79.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah that Luscious was sweet, I would have loved to have it but didn't have that much $$ to spend. $1300 is a good price but then I would have been left with no $$ to build it, so I got a deal on the Fuji about a grand, then came across the Kelly w/fork for $425 shipped. so hopefully Ill be able to sell the Fuji frame and get some of my money back :) .

He ended up with a pretty good deal then 2 Indy's can't be to bummed about that.
how much would shipping be to 20874.

unclefuzzy_ss said:
That Luscious belongs to a guy that works at my shop. VERY nice frame. Very light, and stiff. A racer for sure. Definitely lighter than my 61cm ox Plat. bike, but his is smaller than mine. $1300 is a good price actually. Its a 57, and its just too small for him. He's bummed about it not working out. He replaced the Kelly with TWO Independents off of eBay. Oh to be single and with a good job....

I'd sell that Headset for $79.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jeez, yeah thats not a very good job of controlling spending..
wish I could get away with that, being single helps I guess... although my wife still doesn't realize that the Fuji was a new bike, she just assumed that I've always had it. so when I told her that the kelly was replacing that frame and I was going to sell it she didn't make to much of a deal out of it. lol..

I think ill get the headset from you then, do you have a website I can order from or do you want me to call you?
if so just pm me your #.

unclefuzzy_ss said:
He's still got the Kelly too. And is building a Pugsley at this moment. And just put Force on his Cervelo Prodigy. He says he wants to control his spending. He's not doing too well. :)

About $6.75 or so to ship to you.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.