Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this frame last year on Ebay in hopes of making into fixed gear. It is a 1972 Paramount completely restored by Richard Schwinn at Waterford...as I progressed with my project I got stuck on getting appropriate brakes until my LBS told me it needed center pull brakes...not knowing much about them I asked him what they looked like...he looked at me funny for a minute, and said, "you know I picked up an old Paramount at an auction a while back, and we can look at it to give you some idea." We walked back into an old storage area and he pulled out an old '67 Paramount...it had been ridden about 500 miles max, and for about the last 30 years has been sitting in someone's garage until he bought it at a city auction. The was some kind a paint splatters on the frame, and the Brooks saddle looked a bit worn, but every other part on it was in mint condition, even the chain. My mouth just fell open, soooo...out went the idea for the fixie, and instead...well I'll let the pictures do the talking...let's just say I'm in love all over again....

I know, I know, some of you are saying this should be in the vintage board, but hey, I am a proud papa and thought a wider audience might be interested. Kudos and thanks go to Adam at Planetary Cycles and Jeff at Boones Cycles here in Houston, and to Jay at Harris Cycles in Boston for his help with the Christophe clips and straps...

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
PS- I know the handlebar tape isn't very retro...

I put it on as a lark...suggestions for improvements are, as always, very welcomed.

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
To keep it in era, see if you can find some cloth tape. As a last resort you could add some Bennotto Cello tape. I don't think it was out when this bike was, but it would look more retro. Both can be had on ebay pretty easy. I also remember older bikes from this era with and sewn on Leather. It was one piece on the top and one on the bottom with the seam running down the side.

·
Registered
99 Posts
How about some natural Cinelli cork tape? I think it goes with the saddle leather color very well. Not sure about the authenticity, but what the heck.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Gorgeous! I love the Nervex lugs - they're just about my alltime favorites. The bike looks immaculate. Congratulations.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.