Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally Getting Back to Commuting (Pix included)

I've not been doing good as far as commuting over the past several months. The cold has limited my inspiration and I'll admit I got a little lazy. My commuter bike (an old Cannondale hardtail) had it's brakes die and they are an old model that can't be replaced. Soo, I used all these as an excuse to just drive. And let me tell you that it was 100% b.s. There is no reason for me not to commute as I'm only several miles from work and still have other bikes. So, yesterday I took out my trail bike, added yet another series of lights to it, packed up my backpack and actually rode in to work. Made one mistake though. Really, really, overdressed. It was 31 degrees out and I dressed like it was 0, so pretty much sweated a gallon on the way in. Oh well, enough whining. Here are a few pics from my ride home.

These are the wetlands just outside my office door. They are fed by a hotspring just up the road and the water is a fairly consistent 80 degrees or so. Lots of wildlife - frogs, fish, birds, etc.

Normally I am blessed with a good view of the Sierras on my way back home. Today it wasn't to be. Another snow storm (we've been getting a lot recently) can be seen plowing in. Luckily the winds hadn't started up too strong yet.

My ride is fairly short if I go directly home. Only about 3 miles. Takes 4 minutes longer by bike than by car. This is one of the sad attempts by our little city to put in a MUT to keep bike traffic off of the four lane highway. I'm glad it's there but the drunks tend to throw beer and whiskey bottles onto it as they pass by in their methwagons.

I'm not blessed by all the really cool statues, memorials, and monuments that MB1 gets to photograph. I truely am envious of this, but I will take what I can get. Here's my Lincoln Memorial. :)

There's a pretty interesting fire fighters memorial in Mill's Park. It was getting too dark and I didn't have a decent tripod so only took this one pic.

Carson City is Nevada's capital, so I at least get some cool government stuff to play around. The Capital police are getting used to me riding around and don't enforce the no bikes policy (keep my fingers crossed) as I ride around. Here's the backside of the Capital building.

Here's the front entrance to the building. Built in 1871 from sandstone it really is a beautiful building. Wish I could have captured it better but the light was fading quickly.

Finally, a shot through the front door.

·
Cipo's long lost cousin
975 Posts
Nice picts!

Glad to see you're back on the bike....

2006 felt a little "hit/miss" for commuting but I think back to last year and rejoice about the weather we've had. I keep a log of my miles and the vast majority have been commuter miles during the week... Here's the commuter days checked off for February.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
How am I supposed to get my fix unless you ride and post more often?

BTW with a nice (and beautiful) commute like that you are nuts to not ride it every day and go home for lunch too.

BTW2 does anyone ever take a dip in that hot spring?

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm going to try and get on the bike as much as possible from this point on. I really liked the feeling of it. It was actually surprisingly quiet along the route I chose (except for the little MUT portion). The only close call I had was with a Mormon on his bike leaving the church I had to pass. I think he was as surprised to see me as I was him. (He was better dressed :)).

The hotsprings actually have a facility built on them that has private and shared pools, baths, etc. A lot hotter about 1/2 mile upcreek from us. Never tried it but they are supposed to be fairly nice. There's actually 3 major hot springs in the area. The most famous is Wally's (expensive and lots of condos).

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's awesome. You've been riding through the storms it looks like. If it is icey or snowy I don't ride it (no studded tires). There's a lady here that rides through anything. She has a pretty nice commuter that she created out of a beat up frame. It looks sad from a distance and not worth stealing, but a up close look shows the "worn" ultegra and 105 parts on it and upper end wheels without labels. I'm planning on doing something similar once I get the money to make it easier to leave the bike outside stores (properly locked up).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts