Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going with Camp Chorus Shifters, FD/RD and Cassette.

What am I going to notice in difference with shifting from Shimano?
I have never tried campy, but I want to give it a shot being italian ;-)
learning curve? I understand the thumb shifter thing is different. Any thing else?

I love the looks and listening to all your Camp freaks rant...LOL!

Any thoughts what a pair of 6500 Ultegra Shifters in very good condtion with new Dura-Ace cables with fetch??
Should I sell the Shifters, FD/RD and cassette together? More attractive package like that?

RBR Classifieds or ebay??

Thanks!!

·
Banned
2,834 Posts
The shifting will feel more positive, and you will beable to shift from the largest to the smallest in one push. The hoods feel different as well.

·
Banned
608 Posts
DIRT BOY said:

Well, you will definitely be faster. And you'll have to beat the chicks off with a stick. With Chorus you won't need quite as big of a stick as you would need if you were rolling with Record, but I recommend something at least the thickness of a broomstick.

·
Chili hed & old bike fixr
1,126 Posts
DIRT BOY said:

learning curve? I understand the thumb shifter thing is different. Any thing else?

I love the looks and listening to all your Camp freaks rant...LOL!

Any thoughts what a pair of 6500 Ultegra Shifters in very good condtion with new Dura-Ace cables with fetch??
Should I sell the Shifters, FD/RD and cassette together? More attractive package like that?

RBR Classifieds or ebay??

Thanks!!

It will take some time to get used to the shifting, took me about 2 miles, and I never have considered going back.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Atsa good-a boy.

DIRT BOY said:
You gonna like-a fine. Now shut-a you mouth ana go ride-a you bici. Salute a bella Italia!

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
cable routing...

You will find that routing both cables under the bar tape to be more challenging. I prefer routing both cables to the front of the bar. Either way, get some fiberglass reinforced strapping tape to hold the cables tightly against the bar. Small pieces of foam rubber, placed beside the cables can also be handy to smooth the transition onto the bar. I use "Camper Seal", a grey foam tape about an inch wide. I got mine at Home Depot.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will be using a new Zipp B2...

which has dual cable grooves. Since i suck at wrapping bars, I might just let me LBS do the cable work and adjusting.

Any differnce from Shimano when it comes to setting up the drivetrain? Adjustment wise??

Thanks!!

·
Banned
653 Posts
Very good

Yes, assuming a conventional road bar;
If your cables are routed in the front, they may disturb the webbing in your
hand between thumb and first finger. Also, if you have a dual channel handlebar, front
and back, then think about filling in the unused channel (front, preferably) with foam
so when your bars are wrapped, they feel smooth without a depression.

Edit: My point of reference was sitting on the bike looking forward.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
one more thing...

It's really wise refrain from taping the bars until you've ridden the bike on at least one long ride. If changes are needed to the ergo lever position, it won't be so difficult.

Your LBS may or may not be competant when it comes to installing Campy equipment. The local shops I've been to have about 1% Campy bikes and 99% Shimano.

The critical part of installing the ergo lever is to first get the handlebar angle adjusted so you're comfortable in the drops. After that's done, the ergo lever can be adjusted so the top of the brake hood, where your palm rests, is level at the minimum, but preferably angled up a few degrees.

With regard to handlebars, dual grooves aren't needed if both cables are routed along the front. With dual front routing the shift cable is on top and goes in the groove. The brake cable goes below it. The rear groove may need to be filled with a layer of foam rubber, for maximum comfort, if it's not used.

Setting up a Campy drivetrain differs little from Shimano. Just be sure both thumb buttons are pushed all the way down before attaching the shift cables.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
my LBS's where I go...

I split buisness between 2 of them and both sell a good amount of Campy bikes. I will try on my own first and ride without tape t get a feel.

So route both cables in front? another poster say in back. What's the difference?

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The new bar is a Zipp B2...

and has a "airfoil" tops (aero bar.)

·
Registered
286 Posts
You want to run both cables in the front like C-40 said. I've built five bikes of my own using Campy and I found it is easier and feels better running the cables in the front. I have no idea what the guy was talking about with the webbing of the fingers and thumbs :confused: The only way you can feel the cable in that area of the hand is by running them in back. Maybe he got it backwards, I don't know.

I have also built two Shimano bikes and I think Campy is easier to build and tune. The front derailleur adjustment is tougher on Campy though. Make sure to push the thumb buttons all the way down. Then I set the limit screws on the rear and tighten the barrel adjuster all the way in. Run the cable and tighten the bolt. Then shift up one gear and turn the peddles. Turn the barrel adjuster until it finally changes gears and you are pretty much done with the rear.

Give the system a while to break in. Campy components actually get better with age and they need very little adjustment or tuning after you get everything set up properly.

·
Banned
653 Posts
Simple

I have no idea what the guy was talking about with the webbing of the fingers and thumbs :confused: The only way you can feel the cable in that area of the hand is by running them in back. Maybe he got it backwards, I don't know.

Yes, my orientation was sitting on the bike. I agree, mount the cables using your
point of reference, "In the front" . On a long ride, a cable mounted "in the back" will
not be comfortable.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Henry Chinaski said:
You'll notice the cable routing is a pain in the ass and that the front shifting isn't quite a crisp. You'll also notice that those Ergo shifters are kind of small and weirdly shaped.
Routing is a pain in the ass? Why, because cables don't just sprout out the side? The cable routing is very easy. I just use black electric tape and tape it down. Simple really and no ugly cables sticking out the side.

I'll give you that front shifting isn't as crisp as DA but the new Record front derailleur with the carbon plate was redesigned and it is way better than previous generation Record derailleurs.

You think Campy shifters are "weirdly shaped"? Have you taken a good close look at Shimano shifters? They are the definition of ugly sir. I have never found them to fit my hand properly and did I mention they are the ugliest thing to ever be installed on a bike, next to the DA crankset of course?

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Max-Q said:
Routing is a pain in the ass? Why, because cables don't just sprout out the side? The cable routing is very easy. I just use black electric tape and tape it down. Simple really and no ugly cables sticking out the side.

I'll give you that front shifting isn't as crisp as DA but the new Record front derailleur with the carbon plate was redesigned and it is way better than previous generation Record derailleurs.

You think Campy shifters are "weirdly shaped"? Have you taken a good close look at Shimano shifters? They are the definition of ugly sir. I have never found them to fit my hand properly and did I mention they are the ugliest thing to ever be installed on a bike, next to the DA crankset of course?
Welp, I haven't bought a Campy group since 1986--which was the last time I built up a bike with Super Record. Even then I didn't like the Campy hoods (too narrow and weird shaped) so I bought the top Modolo brakes, which had much more comfy hoods (plus the brakes were more powerful). But of course hood shape is totally subjective. I do think it's funny that after all these years Campy front ders still are sub-par. Several people I knew in the 80s with Super Record succumed to using a Suntour front der. Having the cables come out of the side isn't as pretty, but it makes a lot more sense from a maintenance and functional perspective.

It feels good to participate in a Campy vs. Shimano thread every once in a while... ;)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Road cyclist said:
We are proud of you. Can't think of a better way to defend the Campy honor ;)
I'm sorry. Did I put down your bike? From the side Shimano shifters look like a rather short shaft with a big mushroom head. But then again, I guess you like the way that feels in your hands don't you? :p

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I live in Florida, so I don't really shift....

the front that much. I use 50 or 52T up front with a 12-21 right now.
if I went with a 27T in back, I would never use use the 38 or 39T.

At one point I was using a 52/42 combo up front.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You know, both sides have good arguaments...

I am going to go to my fav LBS and check out the Campy and DA/Ult 10s and see what actually fits me the best and feels the best. I do have smoewhat large hads for my size. The Shimano hoods feel fine, but I never tired anything else so you never know. I do HATE the way the wires stick out on Shimano though..

BUT what ever feels better in my hands in the one I go with. Now I better make a choice before SRAM hits the market...

But I want those Italian parts so bad.....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts