Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sorry, I pick it up next Thursday, but let me tell you the deal I got and you tell me if I did this whole buying a new bike thing right.

I'm sure everyone knows about Performance Bike. Last month they had a sale where the Fuji Roubaix ACR 2.0 was 1,299. They had the 58 cm I need, but the salesman told me to wait until this months sale. Sure glad I did.

The bike online is 1,669.99 this month, so I went into the Richmond store to ask why he made me wait and miss the deal (and to get fit for the Fuji Roubaix 1.0). And what did I find, the ACR 2 on sale for 1,199. They didn't have the 58 anymore, so I asked if they could change the price if I ordered it online. They can.... but thats not the end of it...

I asked if I received discounts on accessories and stuff after I bought the bike, they told me they didn't but they did tell me about the 20% back (of the total) deal if I join the Performance Club. So I did, and now have $356 "free" dollars to spend... AND they are going to give me credit on my credit card for the $500 difference in prices. $1,669 - $470 off + $356 onto my Performance Card = a $843 bike!

Im getting a new computer, shorts or bibs (haven't decieded yet), jersey, bottle cages, bottles, CO2 inflator, saddle-bag, and spare tubes with the $356 and I still have about 50-60 more to spend after that! Are there any other essentials that I need? Should I go the shorts or bibs route?

I was not able to test ride the ACR 2 but they did have an ACR 3 (same geometry) and it felt great. Hope the 2.0 is the same feel.

What do you think? I'll post pictures of it next week.

EDIT: They are offering a two year service plan for $40 i think which includes two free complete drivetrain strips, clean, and re-greasings, after my two free, they are 50% off, and something else too, just can't remember.They also told me they would do a proper fitting when the bike comes in, and a professional fitting would cost 60 or 70 bucks. Professional fit worth it? I don't know what all they do for the pro fit. What should they include? The regular one is stem height, saddle height, and something else.

·
No Bonk Zone
317 Posts
You made out with a great deal...

As for the shorts vs bibs thing, it's a personal preference. I started off with shorts when I started riding, but discovered later that bibs were more comfortable to wear without the waist line squeeze.

Look into their Performance Ultra bibs to start off with... I picked up a pair recently and thought they were a good value...

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Congrats on the new bike - ya done good!! :thumbsup:

Regarding the essentials, I may have missed it, but I don't see a helmet listed so be sure to add that to the list. Also, I suggest a computer with cadence. It doesn't have to be expensive, a $30 wired Cateye Astrale 8 will do you fine.

I suggest you stay with the standard fit for now and bank the $60-$70 for a pro fit in the near future. Depending on how new you are to the sport and how fit you are going into it, your bike fit will evolve as you build saddle time, so save the pro fit for when you settle into what will become your 'normal' riding position. Chances are there will be some tweaks needed to the initial standard fit, but that's all part of the process, so no need for concern.

Happy riding, and post pics when you get your new bike!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PJ352 said:
Congrats on the new bike - ya done good!! :thumbsup:

Regarding the essentials, I may have missed it, but I don't see a helmet listed so be sure to add that to the list.

I never ride without one. :thumbsup: It's not an expensive one, but I don't think they would sell it if it weren't safe.

PJ352 said:
Also, I suggest a computer with cadence. It doesn't have to be expensive, a $30 wired Cateye Astrale 8 will do you fine.
I was actually looking at the Cateye Strada Double Wireless... I know it may be overkill to do away with the wires, but with the wires running all jerry-rigged and all on my old bike, I cannot bring myself to have wires on my new bike. :rolleyes: and it's on sale right now.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
It doesn't have to be an expensive helmet. It just has to strap to your head and protect it, so you're good to go. :thumbsup:

RE: the computer. Same deal, expensive or not if it has cadence that's all that matters.

Enjoy and ride safe!

·
Registered
63 Posts
@Nick09 please post pictures when you get your bike in. Can't wait to see it and congratulations man!!!

·
Fierce Pancake
3,817 Posts
I prefer wireless too, and +1 on bibs. I have several shorts I never wear anymore because once I tried bibs the waistline squeeze no longer appealed! I would also get cycling gloves for protection/grip/sweat wiping purposes.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
bibs..sounds like you are a taller rider I have the problem of jerseys riding up that + shorts is a disaster for anyone near your backside on a ride!

Chad

1 - 8 of 8 Posts