Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I ordered my Steel Crown Jewel from Independent Fabrication back in June. Then I did a lot of emergency research and decided to upgrade to Reynolds 953. This extended the length of the build, which I knew would happen, but it's worth it.

Finally got the frame in today. Had most of my parts transferred from my Orbea Onix:

• D/A 10-spd
  • Mavic Ksyrium SL wheels
  • Zero Gravity brakes (heh, heh, heh)

For the rest, I researched and handpicked the components I wanted. I was trying for a no-black motif.

• King headset (silver)
  • Hope seatpost collar (silver)
  • Thomson Masterpiece seatpost (silver)
  • Deda Newton handlebar ("polished metal")
  • Deda Zero100 Servizio Corse stem ("polished metal")
  • Purely Custom headset top-cap (Scorpion, silver ... props to BigBill for this one)
  • Bar None tape (silver)
  • Brooks Swallow (honey)

I took it out for a short little 20-miler after the build, and so far it rides like a dream. I've never ridden a bike that felt more connected to the road. Yet it's super-smooth at the same time. Lots o' :thumbsup: for IF.

Thumbs up as well for my LBS, I. Martin in L.A. I ordered the frame through them, and they were super helpful and, more important, patient with my constant emails. The frame came this morning. I showed up at 12:30, and I was out the door by 2:30 or 3 or something.

Btw, if you can't tell, I have a head-badge fetish.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Great googli moogli!!

Well done! I like the overall aesthetic. And you're right - the sterling silver IF headbadge is HOT. Also, double props to I Martin, I used to live in LA and they sold me my first real road bike. They're good people who love bikes. Plus they know 'cross.

Enjoy your new ride!!

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
Absolutley stunning!

On the nicer bikes posted here. The pictures are great. A few suggestions on the overall looks of the ride.

1. Ditch the Zero Gravity Brakes. That's WW stuff and looks out of place on such a stunning bike.
  2. Same with the bar tape. Carbon wrap and a Brooks does not match. Maybe the Stella Aruzze stiched wrap in honey/brown.
  3. I love the Deda bars and stem in the new drank grey. The Thomson post is nice, but Deda will have the MATCHING post out very, very soon. Might look sweet!
  4. Use some Classy looking KING Ti or SS cages. Again strictly looks here.
Now, I would love to get that same frame! I am thinking of steel for a nice new build. Again, WOW!

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Beautiful.

A question & a comment:

-Did you design the geometry around the Thompson stem? If so, how laid back is the STA? The swallow has such short rails is why I ask. If not, I'd put a setback Dura Ace on there....again, aestetics.

-Get some Nitto cages, they will compliment the build perfectly....they are aesteticially perfect for that build.

-Bar tape......get the matching honey Brooks tape.

Love the Paint and the HT...pictures are awsome as usual.

Enjoy.

len

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
Very, very nice.

Brooks brown leather tape would look great, as would the stitch-up stuff from Orange Velo.

I think the Zero Gs are fine, a wink to the future on a bike that carries some more traditional elements from the past (how's that for ArtForum speak?)

Other than that - I wouldn't change a thing. You did a great job. Reminds me of my 953 and my Vanilla, simultaneously.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
merckxman said:
In the 7th photo (of the headtube area) are there welds along the bottom of the downtube? What are they for?

looks like a gusset.. but wtf are the welds (or what look like welds) around the top and bottom of the HT itself?? extensions?

re: headbadge, pretty hot, but did those big-headed screws come with?

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Absolutely wonderful. I also prefer other bartape and wouldve gone to DA calipers. I'd be unwilling to compromise breaking performance just for a few grams. I think DA calipers are quietly one of the very, very best components ever created.
I just went back to steel and won't use anything other than steel or ti ever again.
That is easily one of the most beautiful builds I've ever seen. Congratulations and ride her well.

·
Yo no fui.
8,081 Posts
Lovely composition.

·
Registered
59 Posts
FatTireFred said:
looks like a gusset.. but wtf are the welds (or what look like welds) around the top and bottom of the HT itself?? extensions?

re: headbadge, pretty hot, but did those big-headed screws come with?

Thinking the exact same things, what are the two weldlike thingys on the top and bottom of the headtube? Also, what is the weldlike looking thing running on the underside of the downtube in the photo of the King headset? Is it an actual gusset , or is this something that Reynolds specs for this tubeset?

·
Registered
339 Posts
scorpionking said:
Thinking the exact same things, what are the two weldlike thingys on the top and bottom of the headtube? Also, what is the weldlike looking thing running on the underside of the downtube in the photo of the King headset? Is it an actual gusset , or is this something that Reynolds specs for this tubeset?
I have the same thing on my CJ. It's a gusset to stiffen up the front end.

·
Twitterpated
3,116 Posts
DrRoebuck,

CONGRATULATIONS!

Your paint job is beautiful and adds a lot of class.

Looks like IF welded a gusset under the down tube at the HT junction. That will add some strength. IF's attention to function is impressive.

Again Congratulations, and enjoy,
Tshirt

1 - 20 of 53 Posts