Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally able to figure out how to take a post-able pic of my 1997 Cannondale Silk Road 500. And don't laugh at my flats and toe clips. It works for me, and it was the height of technology not all that long ago.
 

·
Cycling induced anoesis
Joined
·
13,006 Posts
Nice bike, enjoy!! :thumbsup:

One thing, though. Unless the angle of the pic deceives, please level that saddle. Looks painful. :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bike is leaning a bit against the garage. The seat feels comfy. I ride mostly on the top of the bars. I just got back from a 25-mile ride and no pain. What would, or should be hurting based on that photo?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,061 Posts
And you got one with a Head Shock!!!! bonus..........................well, unless you like to hammer out of the saddle a lot.

I would love to get 10mm of travel out of my road rig. I just have to suffer with 25c tires. I'm a wimpy mtber that normally runs 140 mm front and rear.
 

·
Cycling induced anoesis
Joined
·
13,006 Posts
lopresti said:
The bike is leaning a bit against the garage. The seat feels comfy. I ride mostly on the top of the bars. I just got back from a 25-mile ride and no pain. What would, or should be hurting based on that photo?
I'm almost afraid to answer that question because I don't want to "plant the seed", as they say.

If you're riding 25 miles with no pain, don't fret over it, but with the tip of the saddle sloping down (assuming it really is) I'd expect you to slide forward and (possibly) have hand/ arm discomfort. It may be because you're riding the tops that the effect is minimized, but as long as it's working for you, I'd leave it be.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do have a little shoulder discomfort, but I was attributing that to:

1) being a noob rider (only been pedaling a month or so)
2) the distances and frequency of my rides (riding 5-6 days a week, 20 or so miles on weekdays and 30-35 on the weekends)

I'll level the saddle out a bit and see how it feels. Thanks for the tip.
 

·
Cycling induced anoesis
Joined
·
13,006 Posts
lopresti said:
I do have a little shoulder discomfort, but I was attributing that to:

1) being a noob rider (only been pedaling a month or so)
2) the distances and frequency of my rides (riding 5-6 days a week, 20 or so miles on weekdays and 30-35 on the weekends)

I'll level the saddle out a bit and see how it feels. Thanks for the tip.
You're welcome. For a noob, you're logging some decent miles, so some other things to consider:
- good quality bar tape/ gloves (help to quell road vibrations)
- keep arms bent slightly at the elbows (helps to keep the same vibrations/ road irregularities from traveling up your arms to shoulders/ neck).
- keep a slightly loose grip on the bars, but tight enough to maintain control
- keep your upper body relaxed, roll your shoulders and rotate your neck side to side/ up and down periodically.
- try to change hand positions frequently. Try tops, hoods, drops, whatever you prefer, just change things up fairly often.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did a lot of riding back in the 70's. Matter of fact, I didn't have a car for a couple of years and only rode a bike. I use gel gloves, MTB shoes, the bar tape is pretty good, and I think my technique is pretty good. Been watching other riders in my area. I'll incorporate your suggestions and definitely adjust the seat before tomorrow's ride and let you know how it went. Thanks, again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually she's going on 14 years. It's a 1997. The previous owner(s) took pretty good care of her. I feel I should carry on the tradition.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,061 Posts
lopresti said:
Actually she's going on 14 years. It's a 1997. The previous owner(s) took pretty good care of her. I feel I should carry on the tradition.
If you ever have an issue with that shock, Craig at MendonCycleSmith.com will fix you right up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
PJ352 said:
You're welcome. For a noob, you're logging some decent miles, so some other things to consider:
- good quality bar tape/ gloves (help to quell road vibrations)
- keep arms bent slightly at the elbows (helps to keep the same vibrations/ road irregularities from traveling up your arms to shoulders/ neck).
- keep a slightly loose grip on the bars, but tight enough to maintain control
- keep your upper body relaxed, roll your shoulders and rotate your neck side to side/ up and down periodically.
- try to change hand positions frequently. Try tops, hoods, drops, whatever you prefer, just change things up fairly often.

Well,changed the angle of the seat slightly and boy, did it make a difference. Did 15 miles this morning and it felt like a different bike. Thanks for the tip. I thought the seat was good where it was because of the ass-bone contact. It felt pretty spot on. After leveling the seat, the contact seemed a bit more "seated", if you know what I mean. Anyway, I'm learning as I go along, and suggestions like yours really enhance my riding pleasure. Thanks again.
 

·
Cycling induced anoesis
Joined
·
13,006 Posts
lopresti said:
Well,changed the angle of the seat slightly and boy, did it make a difference. Did 15 miles this morning and it felt like a different bike. Thanks for the tip. I thought the seat was good where it was because of the ass-bone contact. It felt pretty spot on. After leveling the seat, the contact seemed a bit more "seated", if you know what I mean. Anyway, I'm learning as I go along, and suggestions like yours really enhance my riding pleasure. Thanks again.
You're welcome, glad it worked out for you.

IME most male riders like the saddle level or tipped up slightly at the front. And consistent with most fit related adjustments, small changes can make big differences, both positive and negative.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top