Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well tomorrow is my bday and my wife gave me my present last night since we are going out of town today. I'm very excited to say she got me the Garming Edge 305 with cadence and hr monitor. I will install it on Sunday and can't wait for my first ride on Monday. She's a good wife...I think I'll keep her :)

·
Registered
534 Posts
congrats. once you figure play with "Training Center" be sure to check out sporttracks and bikeroutetoaster.com . One of the first things to do after you get familiar with it is to set up your heart rate zones using the LT test on the unit. The default heart rate zones are pretty meaningless.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Tell your wife 'Thank you, you're the best wife a guy could have' and give her a big hug. Then, keep the box closed, go back to place of purchase with more mulla in hand and exchange for the 705. Buy rest of maps later.
No I don't have either of these models, but after researching and seeing the writeups that's what I'd do.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Forerunner 305 here...

I stripped my bike of all the wireless gizmos for a GPS. We spent some of George W's stimulus money on a 305 Forerunner (wife) and I got the Edge. After getting home and trying the Forerunner, I actually liked it better and swapped out the edge for one. It is a versitle multisport device that gives me what I want and need for cycling in a simple package. I actually don't mind wearing the watch type device either.

Both are very nice units and fun to play around with.:thumbsup:

·
Calm like a Bomb..
918 Posts
I am about to pull the trigger on this of the 705..i would like to know aside from being color, having a larger screen, and being able to use garmin maps instead of a base map what else is the difference or what reason would there be to spend the extra $$

·
Registered
534 Posts
the 705 works with a few power meters and is supposed to have a better battery life, that said, I think the 305 has plenty of stuff to keep most everyone content for a while. The only reasons I'd get a 705 are if I had to have nav or had a power meter.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I consider myself pretty new to cycling since I only got my bike in January, and after playing with my 305 for a few rides now, I'd say it has almost everything MOST people will need. It doesn't do it all, but it's pretty impressive machine. I still need to take the time to figure it out some more, but it's nice to finally keep track of my speeds, cadence, hr, etc.

·
I Type, Therefore I Am
1,842 Posts
The Green Hour said:
I actually don't mind wearing the watch type device either.
I have a mount (made by Polar) that allows a watch to be mounted to a handlebar. I'll see if I can find something similar on the interwebs.

This is the first thing I was able to find, but you get the idea.
http://www.phd-fitness.co.uk/store/p/3316/1/Cardio-Sport-Bike-Mount.html

Here's what I have. I am sure you could find it anywhere Polar stuff is sold.
http://www.gymcor.com/pobimoset.html?productid=pobimoset&channelid=SHOPC

·
Registered
606 Posts
If I already have cadence & an HRM, and just want to get turn-by-turn directions, would the Edge 305 meet that need? How about an eTrex Legend HCx? The 705 is definitely out of my price league, but I'm getting tired of getting lost when roads aren't well marked or I'm having a blonde moment...

·
Impulse Athletic Coaching
5,758 Posts
The 705 battery lasts a lot longer. I've done 2 rides over 4hrs w/o charging with plenty of battery to spare. With GPS, HR, and cadence hooked up to the 305, I was lucky to push 3.5-4hrs. Don't even bother trying to do 1 second timing for a long ride on the 305. It may have been since the battery was getting older (2yrs). Either way, the best I got on the 305 was 6hrs.

EDIT: but damnit, I did love my 305.

·
Registered
606 Posts
iliveonnitro said:
The 705 battery lasts a lot longer. I've done 2 rides over 4hrs w/o charging with plenty of battery to spare. With GPS, HR, and cadence hooked up to the 305, I was lucky to push 3.5-4hrs. Don't even bother trying to do 1 second timing for a long ride on the 305. It may have been since the battery was getting older (2yrs). Either way, the best I got on the 305 was 6hrs.
Ok, battery life is just 1 of many things that you can only get an honest evalutation from an end-user, as opposed to manufacturer's website.

How about turn-by-turn directions?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Mr Wood said:
I have a mount (made by Polar) that allows a watch to be mounted to a handlebar. I'll see if I can find something similar on the interwebs.

This is the first thing I was able to find, but you get the idea.
http://www.phd-fitness.co.uk/store/p/3316/1/Cardio-Sport-Bike-Mount.html

Here's what I have. I am sure you could find it anywhere Polar stuff is sold.
http://www.gymcor.com/pobimoset.html?productid=pobimoset&channelid=SHOPC
Thanks, both would work if I end up going that route.
The girl (a runner) that sold us the units recommended the "quick" strap. It is some kind of velcro strap that is more comfortable than the rubberized/vinyl one supplied.

So far I like the simplicity and versatility of this unit and have had zero problems with it.:thumbsup:

·
Colorado Springs, CO
631 Posts
studiddy said:
Why, exactly? I just got a 305, but now I (predictably) want a 705, and am trying to justify getting one.

The main difference between the 305 and the 705 is that the 705 has all the navigation functions. You can download street level maps, routes, and such into the unit. Then you can navigate along a predefined route or enter an address and it will calculate the route to get there and give you turn by turn directions/prompts.

I have a Edge305 also, and haven't had any of the battery issues that people talk about here -- mine lasts 12 hours of continuous use on one charge. I appears that you get about 2 hours of power per indicator bar on the 305.

The 705 also acquires the satellite constellation faster than the 305 and the processor speed in the unit is faster too. I think the accuracy of the measurements is better too, but then again, +/-30 feet or so isn't too bad.

If you want are out on a long ride and want to conserve your battery, here is a strategy that I use:

1) Stop the bike
2) Hit the LAP button. This will capture your current statistics and your current lap won't get zapped if there is a glitch when you turn the unit back on. I turned my 305 unit off once and turned it back on and got a 205MPH data point. Notably, I just turned it on and hit MODE to bring it to the data field page, hit "start" and took off without letting the unit acquire all the satellites. Or, that was the day I had the Really Big Ring in front (10,000 teeth) and the 5 tooth in the back.
3) Turn the unit off
4) Take your break
5) When you come back, turn the unit on, and let it acquire all the satellites (it should happen pretty quickly - like around 10 or 20 seconds or less). This means letting the unit advance from the satellite acquisition screen to the data fields by itself.
6) Hit the START button. When you turned the unit off, hitting the STOP button was implied. You need to restart the measurement process by pressing START, and the measuring will be initiated from that point forward, adding onto your data points for your ride. If you don't hit start, it won't start recording the data points.
7) Go ride!

Keep pedaling!

ColoradoVeloDude

·
Registered
99 Posts
Having the ability to plan out your route on you computer prior to your ride, and then uploading it to the 705 is one of the main reasons I upgraded. I recently did a 74 mile ride to my friend's cabin. I planned my route ahead of time, and loaded it onto the 705. Without that route on there, I would have been lost very easily because I was on roads I had never seen before in my life. It beats carrying a paper map or cue sheet. I actually did make a 1 wrong turn on the ride too because I was zoomed out farther than I thought, and within 50 feet of making that wrong turn, the 705 started yelling at me informing me of my wrong turn. A paper map wont do that!

Also having the base maps are nice if you're ever out on an unfamiliar ride, and you come across a gravel road or a road blocked to construction. You can easily check the base maps for an alternate route.

The last thing, which isn't "that" important, was the fact that not only is it a color display (which I really like to look at) but the display is also a bit bigger than the 305.

Either unit are great cycling computers, but I figured that if you're going to spend that kind of money on a computer for the 305, wait a little bit longer until you can afford the 705 so you can have all the bells and whistles!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.