Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3 ½ years ago when Hurricane Sandy was churning towards New Jersey, I spent a frantic couple of days driving and calling all over the place to find a generator. I finally got one the day before landfall.
Although Sandy did a lot of damage in NJ, we are about 40 miles island and the impact there was minor. We did not lose power
Since that time, that generator has been sitting in the garage taunting and berating me for wasting $800 and taking up space. Yesterday, we had a line of severe storms move through and our entire neighborhood lost power. My nemesis started right up and keep the fridge cold and my sump pump chugging. We’ve made peace

·
Seat's not level
19,372 Posts
3 ½ years ago when Hurricane Sandy was churning towards New Jersey, I spent a frantic couple of days driving and calling all over the place to find a generator. I finally got one the day before landfall.
Although Sandy did a lot of damage in NJ, we are about 40 miles island and the impact there was minor. We did not lose power
Since that time, that generator has been sitting in the garage taunting and berating me for wasting $800 and taking up space. Yesterday, we had a line of severe storms move through and our entire neighborhood lost power. My nemesis started right up and keep the fridge cold and my sump pump chugging. We’ve made peace
and hopefully the blender with margs... and a little Jimmy Buffett - tryin' to reason with hurricane season on the tunes.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
John borrowed his friend's generator after the storm, and he was the hero of the block. Our next-door-neighbor had a new baby and a giant fish tank; the other neighbor also plugged in to keep his 'fridge running.

Now he's all about getting his own, but I'm skeptical- they're great, but the noise......

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
John borrowed his friend's generator after the storm, and he was the hero of the block. Our next-door-neighbor had a new baby and a giant fish tank; the other neighbor also plugged in to keep his 'fridge running.

Now he's all about getting his own, but I'm skeptical- they're great, but the noise......
Mine is super noisy, louder than my lawnmower. However, I didn't have any option. I would love to have one of those instant-on, inline, whole house generators that ties into your home wiring via switch

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Last time we lost power was maybe four years ago when the Direcho came through and knocked out power for three days. I have contemplated one of those whole house units. Sure would ease my mind, especially in the winter when a big storm comes through and knocks out the heat. I always have these bad visions of huddling around the fire place for three days staring at the ceiling.

Last winter another 100 year snow storm was due to hit DC. Up to three feet of snow was predicted. I went down to Home Depot a couple days before looking for some ice melt. Not a bag in sight. But they did have 20 or so big_ass snow blowers. The Home Depot guy said they'd gotten a shipment earlier in the day and they were gone in three hours, so if I wanted one, better grab it now. So I plunked down $900 for a Cub Cadet. It was so big it took three people to load the box into my Honda Oydessy, and then I had to tie down the hatch. Put it together the next day and got it ready to go. It did snow 32" that night. The next day I did our driveway in less than an hour. Would have taken me and the wife hours and two sore backs to get it done. Did two neighbor's driveways, the sidewalk and even part of the road. I moved here from Minnesota and figured anyone in DC with a snow blower is a wimp. Well, I am that wimp, and I assume this means it won't snow for a couple more years. That alone is worth $900 to me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts