Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep. On my way home this morning, a big dagger shaped piece of glass finally worked its way through the kevlar. Off to get new ones right now. Didn't they change the way they make 'em or something?? I heard it was better or worse but I don't remember which. (specialized armadillo tires, just in case anybody still thinks I killed an actual armored rodent or whatever they are).

·
xploshin
530 Posts
Oh god, from the thread title I thought you killed an armadillo, the animal, by hitting it with your bike. That would've been intense.

Also, does Specialized make good tires?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Miiles said:
Oh god, from the thread title I thought you killed an armadillo, the animal, by hitting it with your bike. That would've been intense.

Me too (about the animal), and personally I do not like the way Specialized tires ride. Conti GP4000S FTW - tough, fast, sticky, and supple. I've never flatted one from road debris, but I'm a light dude and don't ride in the shoulder.

·
Dirty. Nerdy. Unemployed.
1,521 Posts
Miiles said:

I'd gotten one flat on my armadillo tires before I ran over something big that ripped a big hole in my sidewall and messed with my rim, so a pretty good experience. In a recent roubaix race near here, the armadillo elites seemed to have been the only thing not flatting...I didn't have one though :(

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I love the armadillos. Had probably 2-3000 miles on these and this was the first flat. Plus I think it was mostly neglect that caused it, there's all kinds of glass and gravel bits stuck in the rubber that I've been too lazy to pick out. My main concern w/ tires is flat resistance so these are pretty much my only option as far as I know. Any others anybody knows of that are pretty much bulletproof?

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
I had six flats on one 'dillo in the High Sierra Century a couple of years ago. Ran over a thorny branch and didn't get all the little pieces out the first time. Or the second. Or the third. Or the fourth....
Beyond that, I didn't care for the tires much. They just felt too "wooden" and hard.

·
Banned
2,088 Posts
Awww, I thought the same thing...I thought we had an Armadillo Killer here! LOL!

I remember seeing them wild in Arizona.

So cute.

:D

·
Registered
106 Posts
crispy010 said:
Me too (about the animal), and personally I do not like the way Specialized tires ride. Conti GP4000S FTW - tough, fast, sticky, and supple. I've never flatted one from road debris, but I'm a light dude and don't ride in the shoulder.
Conti GP4000's for me all the way. I'm heavy, 195 and do ride the shoulders alot. Zero flats for me on the conti's so far! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
PeanutButterBreath said:
Schwalbe Marathons.
Just looked at their website... Is that "special rubber" really as good as the kevlar? Again, assuming I only care about puncture protection, not weight/rolling resistance/etc.

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
I used to commute along a goathead infested MUT (funny place to build an MUT :nonod:). My commuter had fenders and on a regular basis I would be rolling along and start to hear the tick-tick-tick of a goat head that had lodged in the tire and was hitting the fenders. I'd just keep on riding and eventually the sound would go away. Some times I would amuse myself by trying to time a skid to scub the thorn out. Every few weeks I would take a pair of needle-nose pliers and pull the barbs out. I only flatted once.

This was the 700x25C Marathon which the site says has "Kevlar(R)Guard".

I used to work on a fleet of bikes that had Armadillos, and they are pretty impressive WRT punctures. I once dug a chunk of auto glass out of a tread that had been stuck in the tire so long it had worn smooth on the outer surface. However, I always hated the Armadillos for their stiffness and plastic feeling tread.

The Marathons are just as stiff and a real pain to mount the first time, but they have an outer rubber that actually rides decently. Didn't manage to put significant wear on them in the 5+ months or so I was using them for ~15 miles a day.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Conti Grand Prix 4000 S here. Never had a flat. Superfast - yet holds the road.

Regards title: I was hoping...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts