Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Non Non Cyclist
5,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to my wonderful friend with his REI discount, I was able to get clipless and shoes much earlier than I anticipated. Got them installed today.

I'm only riding on the trainer right now and I spent the last 45 minutes clipping in and out of them and trying to get my cleat position fine-tuned. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
21,524 Posts
Success

lets_ride said:
I'm only riding on the trainer right now and I spent the last 45 minutes clipping in and out of them and trying to get my cleat position fine-tuned. Any other suggestions?
If you stick with this, you may be one of the very few people who don't fall over when trying to click out. My wife spent her first 3 months on clipless pedals riding the rollers. She has never fallen over. I, on the other hand, toppled over 3-4 times in the first month riding with clipless pedals. You don't need to do anything other than ride and practice.

·
Registered
49 Posts
play with the fore/aft

locations on your shoes. More forward is supposed to be a more powerful pedal stroke but can be uncomfortable for some. Essentially it's what you're comfortable with. I ride with my cleats (MTB cleats at that) almost as far BACK in the shoe as possible. For whatever reason this happens to be the most comfortable spot for me. Also pay attention to the direction your shoe is in when you walk. Most people do not walk with their feel straight ahead. For that reason there is some play in the cleat mounts. Mine are ever so slightly tipped toe out. My riding partner is "duck-footed"...he walks toes in, so his are actually aimed toe IN. Hey, it works for him. Good luck.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Make sure and ride them a little loose for awhile

I always suggest to a new rider to loosen the tension screws on their SPD or Look pedals to make it a little easier to exit until they get used to them (of course, there is no adjustment for Speedplay or some others). As you get used to them, then tighten them up. I ride Speedplays now, but when I rode Looks I kept them cranked all the way tight because I didn't want to accidentally unclip, but when you are new you are more concerned about NOT being able to unclip.

The other thing you want to do on your first ride or two is just practice stopping and starting by clipping out and in. Seems silly, but you want to get your brain thinking about it before you come to the intersection with the car out of nowhere and you panic trying to unclip and stop (everybody's been there). After your first ride it almost becomes second nature.

Finally, I echo the advice about cleat positioning. The official word is to get the cleat positioned under the ball of your foot. However, from there it is entirely personal. Everytime I get new shoes it takes 2-3 rides to get the cleats where I want them. Then when changing cleats I use a marker to ouline the cleat position of the old cleat to make sure and get it right.

Welcome to a better world! Riding clipless is one of the best things you can do to make riding more enjoyable.

·
Non Non Cyclist
5,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, everyone.

They are SPD's and I did loosen the tension already. That made a huge difference, and I'll continue to refine my cleat position over the next few days.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts