Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was finally able to get on my new Axiom SL and put a couple hours on and all I can say is wow. Yea, it fits perfect. It should as it's custom and Cascade Bicycle Studio, and specifically Zac there, knows how to fit you. He used to work for Seven for 5 years as a Senior Bike Fitter and has fitted Olympic atheletes, as well as pros, and schmucks like me. But the ride is just what I wanted. Stiff, yet subtly compliant. Reminds me of when I first drove a German car after driving lesser automobiles. I didn't want a race car, I wanted a sports coupe that wouldn't beat me up, but handled impeccably. The Seven feels like this. I am a recreational rider and didn't want a full on race bike, but still like performance. Here is a cell phone pic. I am very happy with the outcome and the process and my LBS. View attachment 252467

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Very nicely put together. A good fitter makes all the difference in the world. Enjoy!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Excellent. Just curious on your spec numbers?
Full build is below. As for the wheels, the 303 Firecrest's are really nice, but I only have a couple rides so far, and none in windy conditions. Braking is better than I expected using the grey pads that came with the wheels. I'll have to put a few more miles for a better feeling of how they work for me. I honestly don't think they will make ME all that much faster, but they should last a long time and seem very strong while complementing the ride nicely. As a opackage, the bike feels buttoned down but smooth for long rides.

Seven Frame spec:
Handling 5
Drivetrain Stiffness 7
Vertical Compliance 4
Weight-to-Performance 8

Full Build:
Seven Axiom SL Frame w/ 5E Fork (350mm)
Seven carbon seatpost
Campagnolo Chorus groupo, cables & cranks (Compact 12-27)
Campagnolo Dual Pivot brakes F/R w/ Chorus levers
FSA K-Force Nano Compact bar w/ Deda tape
FSA OS-99 CSI Stem
CK Headset - red
Zipp 303 Firecrest clinchers w/ Zipp Ti skewers
Specialized Romin saddle
Conti GP4000 700x25 tires
Garmin Edge 500
Profile Design Carbon water bottle cage

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm looking at getting this same model from the same shop! Did you decide to go with adding the disc brake tabs and cable guides (per your last thread)?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm looking at getting this same model from the same shop! Did you decide to go with adding the disc brake tabs and cable guides (per your last thread)?
I didn't go with the disc brake tabs/guides and stayed with standard setup. Too many variables and in the end decided discs were not worth it at this time.

You will like Zack - he did a good job with everything.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Have you had any issues with your seat slipping (rotating aft approximately a full bubble on my level)? I had to readjust mine every 100 miles or so. After working with my shop and trying everything they finally replaced it with a different brand with a better clamping system.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not a Seven seatpost fan...

Have you had any issues with your seat slipping (rotating aft approximately a full bubble on my level)?
Well, my carbon post from day one was very difficult to adjust as the bolts didn't turn easily at all. I had my LBS look at it and lube the bolts, but the bolts still almost feel like they are stripped. Once loose, I would set the seat where I want, and it was still sooo difficult to tighten. Mine also slipped if not really tightened down. I am going to get a new post eventually since I am NOT happy with my Seven post. I would never recommend this. Reallly not a good piece - surprising coming from Seven! I would like to get a post that the seat tilt and fore/aft adjustment can be made independently.

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Well, my carbon post from day one was very difficult to adjust as the bolts didn't turn easily at all. I had my LBS look at it and lube the bolts, but the bolts still almost feel like they are stripped. Once loose, I would set the seat where I want, and it was still sooo difficult to tighten. Mine also slipped if not really tightened down. I am going to get a new post eventually since I am NOT happy with my Seven post. I would never recommend this. Reallly not a good piece - surprising coming from Seven! I would like to get a post that the seat tilt and fore/aft adjustment can be made independently.
I have their Ti post on mine and it's pretty good as far as staying where you set it. The saddle rails slipped a couple of times initially but after I put some carbon paste on them they have stayed in place. The tilt adjustment is spot on. What I really like about it is the independent adjustment between tilt and fore/aft.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Newbie here.
Really nice setup.

Just curious, are you using Campagnolo front and rear dee as well? It would seem weird without using them. Just my view

·
Registered
3 Posts
Why is Axiom SL/SLX much preferred over higher end Elium SL/SLX??
Is there some bad review on Elium?

Reason of asking, cos my Elium SLX is due for delivery in another 2 weeks, and I seriously don't want to regret even before I see it in person.
(I am an non-competitive cyclist, but loves the long distance cycling in an non-competitive manner)

·
Registered
447 Posts

Reason of asking, cos my Elium SLX is due for delivery in another 2 weeks, and I seriously don't want to regret even before I see it in person.
(I am an non-competitive cyclist, but loves the long distance cycling in an non-competitive manner)
According to Seven, the Axiom is more race oriented, whereas the Elium is more oriented for the the long distance non-competitive type. Sounds like you purchased the right bike.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

You will love your Elium, don't worry. The waiting stage is the WORST and everyone starts to second guess everything. This will vanish once you lay eyes on your new bike, and total joy will overcome you when you ride it. I went through a similar stage, and now cannot be happier.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I have had my new Elium SL for about 40 days now, and I love it. Do not worry about this! I'm not a racer either, and got it for the longer distances. It's comfortable, but accelerates and corners as much as I need. I'm looking forward to your first post after you get it and ride it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts