Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sounded like a tourist on a Walmart bike. Totally embarrassing with all the racket coming from my expensive Merlin. It was just a matter of time before my bike would set off the alarms in parked cars.

Bottom bracket: it started to get crunchy a few months ago, worsening to a matching crescendo with...

My headset: threaded Dura Ace that I replaced the cartridge units with sealed bearing ones. Unfortunately, the new ones did not seat perfectly, so it seems they chafed the walls of the cups or cones. The loud creaking dwarfed the...

Cassette: the two carriers of the largest sprockets like to rub each other (can I say that on this site?). A couple months back, I put a new unit on and forgot to put a film of grease between the two. Plus, gotta cinch the fixing bolt down bigtime. And then the there's the matter of the...

Chain: the 11sp Dura Ace began squeaking at shorter intervals between lubes - the tell-tale sign of wearing out in my experience. It didn't help out when I'd forget to lube it between rides. After 5k miles, the old chain hardly stretched, but no amount of lubing lasted long. This might be Shimano's best chain ever.

So after a few hours of wrenching, now my bike is whisper quiet. Ended up disassembling the old Shimano headset bearings and repacking with loose balls. Works like a champ. No excuse for letting the bottom bracket get to this stage. Just worn out from riding so much!

Anybody else with similar stories?

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
My cleats squeek at the pedal interface (not the cleat/shoe interface).

My mtn bike makes aluminum creaky noises.

My bones pop a lot.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
No excuse for letting the bottom bracket get to this stage. Just worn out from riding so much!
How many miles on that BB?

Nobody who rides regularly has not had a "I can't figure out where this noise is coming from" experience. That's why the list of possible noise sources goes to a full page.

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How many miles on that BB?

Nobody who rides regularly has not had a "I can't figure out where this noise is coming from" experience. That's why the list of possible noise sources goes to a full page.
My log shows only about 5k miles, but my carelessness let a combination of windex and grit get in there a couple thousand miles back. Usually I get over 8k before replacing one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts