Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well it's been an incredible process....from the order placed in late October, to Dave e-mailing me to say he was ready to start in Mid January.....the follow up conversations and e-mails to get the details just perfect. Dave teasing me with in process pictures. Finally shipping it to Joe Bell to paint in Early February......JB backed up painting bikes for the NAHBS....several conversations about color & design with Joe in which I told him the basic color, the HT & Panel color and told him "Joe, I like a bike where the closer you look the more you see....I trust you to be the artist.....surprise me." & then the wait.

For those of you that haven't worked with JB, he makes Dave hickey look like he's on speed.....JB is a laid back easy going incredibly talanted artist.....& let me tell you he is worth the wait.

Finally, JB tells me he's shipped it back to Dave. 1 week later, I'm on my ride this AM and my wife calls..."It's here!"

Specs

Kirk Terraplane
<TABLE style="WIDTH: 127pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=169 border=0 x:str><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 79pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 3840" width=105><COL style="WIDTH: 48pt" width=64><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 79pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" width=105 height=17>ST Length</TD><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; WIDTH: 48pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right width=64 x:num>58.0</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=17>Effect TT</TD><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right x:num>57.5</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=17>TT Slope</TD><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right x:num>0.0</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=17>Head Angle</TD><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right x:num>72.5</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=17>Seat Angle</TD><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right x:num>72.5</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=17>Rake</TD><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right x:num>4.6</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=17>Trail</TD><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right x:num>59.0</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=17>Chainstay length</TD><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right x:num>42.5</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=17>Setback</TD><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right x:num>17.3</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" height=17>Drop</TD><TD class=xl24 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" align=right x:num>6.8</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Stem is 110

I'll be building it up tomorrow...more to follow..

Enjoy

Len

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
More Kirk.......

Some more candy....notice the detail work

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Len J said:

OH wow, Len that looks great. Congratulations, wow. I can't wait to see the final build!! Love the "Kirk" in two colors with the undulating line, and the metal flecked paint. Oh can't wait, can't wait.

Edit:
Oops, sorry, I got so excited I interrupted your post. How terribly rude of me...apologies. Oh but it's so fantastic. The blue pinstripe between the red and white and the way Kirk looks. WOW!

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
And more

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Be Patient......

The detail amazed me.......

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
And still more.......

JB & Dave just nailed it...I can't wait to ride it.

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
Beautiful Len! Do you know the name of the red?

I just love it, enjoy!

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks.........

snapdragen said:
Beautiful Len! Do you know the name of the red?

I just love it, enjoy!
It's Candy Apple Red......It looks even better in the sunlight!

The only things i told JB were Candy Apple Red for the main bike, & Cream for the Head Tube & Seat Tube Panel.......and that I Liked to Look close for the hidden detail.

The more i look at it the more I like it.

len

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
Candy Apple Red. I will remember that - if I ever get a custom bike, I'm copying that red!

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks.....

zeytin said:
OH wow, Len that looks great. Congratulations, wow. I can't wait to see the final build!! Love the "Kirk" in two colors with the undulating line, and the metal flecked paint. Oh can't wait, can't wait.

Edit:
Oops, sorry, I got so excited I interrupted your post. How terribly rude of me...apologies. Oh but it's so fantastic. The blue pinstripe between the red and white and the way Kirk looks. WOW!
He's amazing.

Len

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Trust me.......

snapdragen said:
Candy Apple Red. I will remember that - if I ever get a custom bike, I'm copying that red!
the pictures don't do it justice.

Len

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Better get busy.

Len J said:
I'll be building it up tomorrow...more to follow..

Enjoy

Len
We are dropping by your house right after Sunrise Service for a nice long ride.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Looks amazing. The detail is great... it adds so much to an already beautiful bike. Very classy looking: not flashy, but stunning. They sure did it right over there. Great bike!

joe

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can't wait....

colker1 said:
oh well.. stunning. from geometry (double 72.5.. smooth) to paint(ooohh) to stem (ALL stems should look like this: 2 bolts only).
i would ride this bike forever..
to ride it.

Len

·
Coco Puff
2,119 Posts
Len J said:
to ride it.

Len
geez Len, I just spooged all over my keyboard.

Honestly, that has got to be the finest detail work and paint I have seen on a frame. Those rear stays are nothing short of magnicent. You're going to ride it? Most folks would just hang it on a wall....

·
I'm not like anyone else
1,796 Posts
Len J said:
to ride it.

Len
Please..... wait til you get some wheels on it.:D

Have a nice first ride!!!!

I couldn't sleep until I could... she's a beauty.

Nah... that's a piece of art!

Enjoy... EDB

·
Bored beyond belief.
1,257 Posts
I'm thinking unclean thoughts.

...I need to go some place private.....

1 - 20 of 69 Posts