Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a total knee replacement not quite 5 weeks ago & today, for the 1st time, I was able to get the cranks all the way around without feeling pain at the 12:00 position. I'll be riding tomorrow. It's supposed to rain, but that might not be enough to deter me even in the Ohio winter.

This comes just in the nick of time. I'm about 1 or 2 days away from death by cabin fever. :cornut:

Reactions: Wetworks

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
Well done & congratulations Mr. Vers. I know how happy you are at this milestone in your therapy. Years ago, for years, I was a volunteer at the local hospital's out-patient physiotherapy department and I helped many knee-replacement patients with their exercises. There were many cheers and tears as the pedal went over the top for the first time. It was proved many times - the ones who progress the best are the ones who work the hardest.

Please keep us informed of your progress.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I just came off of shoulder surgery and was able to ride 40 somethin' miles Saturday, relatively pain free. After 3 1/2 months with my left arm totally immobilized I'm still having some range of motion problems, but believe that the sooner you move that stuff, the better off you are going to be.

I'm sure that your doc told you to stop at the first sign of pain. That is BS. You know your body better than anyone else. Good luck with your rehab! Glad to hear you're back.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Had a total knee replacement not quite 5 weeks ago & today, for the 1st time, I was able to get the cranks all the way around without feeling pain at the 12:00 position. I'll be riding tomorrow. It's supposed to rain, but that might not be enough to deter me even in the Ohio winter.

This comes just in the nick of time. I'm about 1 or 2 days away from death by cabin fever. :cornut:
Welcome back and good luck on your ride

·
Registered
21,725 Posts

5+ weeks is fantastic! I broke a couple of my feet skiing a few years back and was wheelchair bound for 7 weeks. I kept "in shape" going up and down the stairs on my hands and knees for 40 minutes a day. I can sympathize! Great advice from Mike T. - the ones who progress the best are the ones who work the hardest. Good on ya!

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
Great to hear! I know you've been looking forward to this - keep playing it smart.

I should point up your way and show of my new ride sometime. Gotta get there while you are still slow, so you'll be appropriately impressed!

·
Registered
313 Posts

congrats! ride safe!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Holy Crap! All those kudos & I'm only 70 years old. Thanks folks.

I rode 16 miles alone.. I didn't want to ride alone for the 1st time, but...Didn't have much pain, but the knee started to stiffen up a lot toward the end. I rode 16 flat miles with a cadence in the low 70s (I know, I know but that's all I can do right now). Ave speed was 10.2 mph. Gotta start somewhere. One thing I didn't anticipate was the wind burn from riding at those speeds. I'm icing now & will do a couple of sets of PT exercises before the end of the day.

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
You're our hero Vers. Well done. I don't remember any PT patients that rode 16 miles just after getting their knee over the top on the exercise bike. Most people half your age with two original knees couldn't do that.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Good job Mr V. The sooner and harder you work to get range of motion back after that surgery, the best you'll be.

Blackbeer, good to hear you are recovering nicely as well. Your accident was certainly a scarey one.

And Mappy just got back out on the roads again as well. You guys have a lot sprirt.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.