Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Looking for advice on where to start looking for replacement bearings for my 2008 Giant TCR Advanced headset. After 8 years the headset is starting to get sticky and I suspect I will need to replace the bearings.

Where can one find the spec of such an old frame? I tried the Giant website and a few google searches. Any other suggestions?

Was wondering if anyone has tried measuring the specs of the bearing and then purchased from bearing shop.

As always, thanks for any help!

Nik

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Hi,

Looking for advice on where to start looking for replacement bearings for my 2008 Giant TCR Advanced headset. After 8 years the headset is starting to get sticky and I suspect I will need to replace the bearings.

Where can one find the spec of such an old frame? I tried the Giant website and a few google searches. Any other suggestions?

Was wondering if anyone has tried measuring the specs of the bearing and then purchased from bearing shop.

As always, thanks for any help!

Nik
Took the HS bearings from my 09 Advanced to the dealer and they measured and ordered them for me. I didn't find specs online either.

·
I love to climb!
2,045 Posts
You could find replacements if you remove them then google the part numbers. This is what helped me before. I believe it is a tapered headset. Pretty standard. I have also a TCR.

Giant TCR Advanced SL Tapered Headset | JE James Cycles
It is tapered, but many of the giants use a different taper than the standard. Ran into this problem once. You'll need the specific bearings for the giant. You can get them from any giant dealer, and I have seen then online, but don't get just any headset that says it's for a road bike tapered 1 1/2 to 1 1/8; giants are labeled the same, but are actually different.

·
I love to climb!
2,045 Posts
It is tapered, but many of the giants use a different taper than the standard. Ran into this problem once. You'll need the specific bearings for the giant. You can get them from any giant dealer, and I have seen then online, but don't get just any headset that says it's for a road bike tapered 1 1/2 to 1 1/8; giants are labeled the same, but are actually different.
Didn't realize I f didn't respond to op. The link in the reply above looks like the right one.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Good news: is I was able to get a look at the bearings today- both top and bottom bearing sets are identical--rather than 2 different sizes.

Bad news is the rust had worn off the model #'s but there was an FSA patent number (edit--this is pretty useless) on the top cap and another number "45' ACB"

Nik

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts