Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, I'm finally getting into road biking now, and am cobbling together a custom bike for myself. But I've hit a snag, I've got some ideas on the components I'd like to use, but I can't find any internet sites that actually have the complete sets. I've seen complete Ultegra and DuraAce sets, surely there's a 105 set, or campy sets. I just can't seem to find them. I'll buy it piece by piece if I have to, but I'd like to buy it as a complete set. Anybody know where to look? =D

And the local bike shop is not an option, after talking with the lady on the phone, she said their bikes are marked up 45% and all the parts are marked up 100%!! I'm sorry, maybe I'm cheap, but I don't want to pay double what it's worth!

Thanks!
Dan

·
Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
physics_nut said:
Hi everybody, I'm finally getting into road biking now, and am cobbling together a custom bike for myself. But I've hit a snag, I've got some ideas on the components I'd like to use, but I can't find any internet sites that actually have the complete sets. I've seen complete Ultegra and DuraAce sets, surely there's a 105 set, or campy sets. I just can't seem to find them. I'll buy it piece by piece if I have to, but I'd like to buy it as a complete set. Anybody know where to look? =D

And the local bike shop is not an option, after talking with the lady on the phone, she said their bikes are marked up 45% and all the parts are marked up 100%!! I'm sorry, maybe I'm cheap, but I don't want to pay double what it's worth!

Thanks!
Dan
Its not double what its worth, just what it cost the shop to buy. BIG difference.

One of the places to start any search for parts is www.chucksbikes.com. Very interesting stuff he's got...

I've found that by piecing together a bike out of parts from here and there, you actually end up saving more money (done correctly!). Ebay, swap meets, the ads here and mtbr.com are all good places to look. Triathletes are another good source of cheap parts. Don't ask me why, but they are. Shop mechanics are probably one of the best sources of gently used stuff. They can cherry pick the stuff that they keep when customers just don't want it any more. I inherited a bunch of stuff that way working in a shop. Ask the wrenches quietly and out of earshot of the store owner next time you're in.

Supergo has a box sale every once in a while. Last time I saw them selling box sets of Ultegra they were about $700. That included everything, including wheels. Speaking of Supergo/PBS/Nashbar, up until today the Supergo across the street had a bargain table. Every once in a while I found some KILLER deals there. Evidently one of the district mgrs decided that Supergo didn't need a bargain table, so its gone. Bummer! Have I mentioned what kind of idiots are running Performance these days?

D/A 9sp is about to be blown out by those guys upgrading to 10sp. Look for D/A 9sp prices to tumble quickly!

That help?

Mike

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I know it's double their cost which is very different, but still 100% markup is a lot. I could see it on bikes, cause of all the tune-ups and such they'll give you over the life of the bike, but on parts where they don't do anything but hand it to you, 100% seems a bit steep. But hey, that's just my opinion =D

Acutally I was looking through ebay to piece it all together, and I can't seem to find the black colored 105 components. Heh, I know, so specific I'll be lucky to find more than a derailer here and there. Seems silly I suppose, but considering I'm in college and this will be a good portion of my budget, I want it to look exactly how I like, which means black components on a blue frame. Thanks for teh speedy replies though, and I'll keep surfing ebay!

Thanks!
Dan

·
Registered
318 Posts
Have you considered Campag?

Campag Mirage comes all black now. Zenon does as well but I would steer clear of that group.... plastic brake calipers? I think not.

They work quite fine with Shimano 9sp cogs and wheels, I have it on my bike now.

I think prices in Europe and UK are by far more competitive but I don't know about the shipping prices. You can check out www.totalcycling.com.

Regards,
Sean

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.