Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there an online tool available that can be used to answer the question "what is the closest hill to my location that is at least 2 miles long and at least 9% grade"? If not, are there any other good ways to find substantial hills? I mean, besides having to converse with other people.

·
Registered
531 Posts
wetpaint said:
The best way is to just ride, look for ridges and ride towards them
In my part of the world, you can look for "fridges" as ******** like to chunk the old ones down in the hollows. If you see a fridge below you, you're on one of the hills you've described.

·
Master debator.
8,761 Posts
Actually it's probably the city folk chucking them fridges in the ditch. ******** leave them outside the trailer for the kids to play in.

·
ReviewBikeRoad Member
1,368 Posts
Strava.com, the cycling gps data service (like Garmin Connect) has a "climb search" function so you can look for hills that folks have already done.

It's actually kind of neat, because you can see speeds that others have climbed the hills at, how long it took them, etc.

·
Registered
15 Posts
EMB145 Driver said:
In my part of the world, you can look for "fridges" as ******** like to chunk the old ones down in the hollows. If you see a fridge below you, you're on one of the hills you've described.
:lol: :lol:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mcsqueak said:
Strava.com, the cycling gps data service (like Garmin Connect) has a "climb search" function so you can look for hills that folks have already done.

It's actually kind of neat, because you can see speeds that others have climbed the hills at, how long it took them, etc.
This site looks almost exactly like what I want. The only problem is that there isn't enough data right now. If I search for climbs in my area, I come up with nothing. I like it a lot more than mapmyride, though. If everyone used Strava, it would be amazingly useful.

·
ReviewBikeRoad Member
1,368 Posts
Greg Smalter said:
This site looks almost exactly like what I want. The only problem is that there isn't enough data right now. If I search for climbs in my area, I come up with nothing. I like it a lot more than mapmyride, though. If everyone used Strava, it would be amazingly useful.
Yeah, I agree. I guess it just launched this year, so it still has to gain market traction, but is pretty neat for a basic online service.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Alternative.

If you own a car, go for an early-Sunday morning drive. You could measure grade easily with some simple home-made tools (2-meter rod, bubble level and metric ruler), but that might be a little too obsessive-compulsive for you. :)

·
Registered
715 Posts
Try that social interaction you've hinted at, but make it clear that you don't want to make any friends by holding a large knife and drooling.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts