Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new this year to Heart Rate Monitors (Edge 305) and am having trouble finding/setting a max HR. When I plugged in my user info, the Max HR was set at 185. However, as high as I've been able to get my HR is 171, and that's grinding up about a 6-8% climb for just over a mile. I think with some more effort and determination I could get it higher, but not a whole lot. I'm reasonably fit, it was tough, but I wasn't dying. 220 minus age of 48 gives me 172 which is certainly ballpark, but, like I said, I feel like I should be able to get it higher. My average bpm on a recent century was 143 (couple thousand feet of climbing, but mile after mile of brutal wind on the second half, 16.5 mph that coulda been faster but for a laggard in our group). Any suggestions? Thoughts? Advice? Ideas? TIA :confused:

· Registered
3,230 Posts
max HR is not a useful metric. just about any training regimen developed or revised in the past five-ten years will define training zones in terms of your maximum sustainable HR, which likely is about 80-85% of your actual theoretical max but not necessarily. To find your max sustainable, some people say to go as hard as you can for thirty minutes and take the avg HR for the last twenty of it.
Don't worry about your max. When you do a six minute interval, go as hard as you can sustain for six minutes. When you do a two minute interval, go as hard as you can sustain for two minutes. Etc., etc. Get to know your body. I use a HRM constantly -- I haven't been induced to lay it down for a power meter yet, but it's clearly the way to go -- but I treat it as rough feedback, not as gospel. You still have to feel your body respond.

· Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So if I can grind along at 160 bpm or something of that sort for 30 minutes, which I pretty much can, I should consider it what amounts to zone four of five? That's pretty much how the preset on the Garmin works out. Zone five starts at 167 bpm with the "max" at 185.

· Registered
21,834 Posts
Not quite

bleckb said:
So if I can grind along at 160 bpm or something of that sort for 30 minutes, which I pretty much can, I should consider it what amounts to zone four of five? That's pretty much how the preset on the Garmin works out. Zone five starts at 167 bpm with the "max" at 185.
It's not about "grinding along" - the maximum sustainable heart rate discussed here is what you get when you go as hard as you possibly can for 20-30 minutes (after a full warmup), and you look at your HR over the last 2/3 of that time. Assume that to be your Lactate Threshold (LT) or Anaerobic Threshold (AT) and base your training on that number. Max HR from age formulas is useless, and it's hard to find your max HR outside of a lab.

· Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking of grinding along while climbing, which is the only way I can get my heart rate way up. For me, that's going as hard as possible after about an hour of riding. The main reason I asked about a max HR is because it would seem the zones are based on that max, theoretical, guessed at or otherwise determined. When I'm at 160-165 my breathing is deep, steady, but not quite labored. I'm not gasping. That seems like zone four from what I've read. I wish my Edge 305 allowed me to look at just the last 2/3 of the climb or all-out interval. Thanks for the thoughts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.