Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been training to participate in the local races this year and was wondering if I could get some local companies to sponsor me for the season. I do not have a team and plan on racing single. Has anyone tried approaching companies for sponsorship? Please just throw me any comment. Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
Unless you are really, really, really good...don't count on it.

You would be much better off joining a team, the larger the better. We have approximately 60 members on our team racing in all ages and categories. The shear numbers as well as lots of wins and podium placings has allowed our team to pick up sponsorships from a number of different companies.

However, we don't get anything free...we just get good discounts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How 'bout selling advertising space on my jersey? Just a thought but I'm just trying to get few companies (not the bicycle-related ones..) to give me money to purchase few things, etc. Am I just being greedy? ;)

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
yee0890 said:
Am I just being greedy? ;)
Not necessarily, just dreaming....that's all.

Cycling is not the best advertising platform, even on local levels unless you have large numbers of people to get that advertising all over the place. As I said, my team has 60 members on it which means large representation at races, lots of time being seen on the road while we are training, representation at bike shops, bike related events, etc.

A solo rider doesn't give a company any of that unless they are National or World Class level.

Unless you have already been contacted and or are National or World Class level...getting money from somebody to "advertise" for them is simply unrealistic. Don't let that stop you, just don't be surprised when nobody gives you anything....especially money.

The best you can hope for is discounted goods or services...basically just above cost so the company is still making money off of you, you just don't have to pay as much as everybody else.

Good luck...sounds like you are going to need it in this venture :idea:

·
Registered
247 Posts
As an individual cyclist, you stand pretty much zero chance of finding any sponsorship on your own. Here's why:

Pro level sponsorship (US Postoal, Discovery, CSC, Rabobank, etc.) are looking at advertising to consumers. However, sponsors for amatuer teams are generally looking at (1) selling a relatively high volume of product to team members or their families, (2) networking through team members, and/or (3) advertising to the local peleton (the guys and girls on the Sat. group ride and the Tues. Night Worlds). As an individual, you would only bring one of those to the table, and even then a local club will be more beneficial.

Best advice is join a club. You'll get bulk deals on product, maybe even some entry fee reimbursement, meet new friends, and get better race results with team tactics.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Pro-deals

If you have something unique that is going to get positive exposure, then you have a better chance of geting a deal. I am doing a 24 hour mtb race solo using solar panels to charge the batteries. Some companies were stoked to help out. Your LBS may be the best asset of all in terms of mechanical (emotional?) support and comraderie.

·
Registered
252 Posts
yee0890 said:
I've been training to participate in the local races this year and was wondering if I could get some local companies to sponsor me for the season. I do not have a team and plan on racing single. Has anyone tried approaching companies for sponsorship? Please just throw me any comment. Thanks in advance,
Why do you need sponsors when you are only racing for yourself???? To offset racing fees and travels? Well, that won't even happen when you join a club with some sort "sponsorships." If you think having a sponsor that would pay all of your fees, it is not going to happen, unless, like other have said, you are some sort of national or international caliber riders with contracts waiting for you to sign....:)

·
Loves to Suffer
998 Posts
Try: www.loopd.com

Set up a profile and post any race results, then submit sponsorship applications. Read the contracts carefully.

You can get sponsored which equals some OK discounts. Don't plan on quitting your day job.

·
Registered
42 Posts
As the person who was in charge of the Michelin sponsorship for a number of years, the one thing that is a MAJOR problem is by now, all the sponsorship bucks are tied up. I know we did some single sponsorships for people like yourself, but like I said, we have it figured out by now. I know, with Michelin, we got most of proposals during the interbike time, and we tried to have answers for people by Nov.1. That way, you have time to find something else if you need to.

Just thought I would pass alone how we did things, not saying that is how others did it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts