Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before the summer Tahoe crowds really begin to roar in with the warm weather and the end of school Mt. Rose Highway between Reno and Lake Tahoe is a very cool road to climb. Right now it is pretty safe to do so, but in a few weeks there are sometimes trains of 30 or more cars behind slow gawking tourists! Makes it almost deadly to ride unless you start at 5:30 in the morning. But, since the crowds are here yet I jumped on my bike, rode out of the garage, and started up Highway 431, aka Mt. Rose Highway. It was a pretty cold morning, but I was happy as it kept the sweat at bay a little bit. As much as I really dislike living in the Reno area in general, I sometimes feel a little smile when I can ride up roads like this from my house. I guess there are worse things in the world.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Up Past the Lodge

This old lodge has a lot of history I'm sure, I know it sure does have a lot of rumors of what it used to be. I've been told it was a hangout for the mafia, a house of prostitution for the politicos of the olden days, a dance hall, a beer palace, etc. Not really sure, but I'm guessing it was related to the now abandoned ski resorts that have been out of action for the past 30 years or so. I've always wanted to go inside, but always missed my opportunity. There is a room for rent for 125 a week though! :D I continued up past it and past my ski resort, Mt. Rose ski to reach the summit.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Once at the Summit

It was cold and windy on top. I didn't hang around too long, but was disappointed the bathrooms were a little bit on the cold side. Oh well, got to suck it up sometimes I guess. And then it was a roaring downhill to the road that takes you up to the backside of Slide Mountain. I wanted to see if any hang gliders were launching, but it was too windy. Instead I got to watch some people poaching the ski runs. Wish I had had my skis!

·
had it in the ear before
14,158 Posts
i've never been west of the mississippi but i'm signed up for the Tour de Tahoe this year, these pic's are making me anxious!

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you want to do it twice or do something else while you're out here, let me know. I'm only a short hop away. It's a great ride. We always do it the day before though just for fun. I ride up there so much I got tired of paying for it. Lots of other nice country to explore if you're interested.

·
had it in the ear before
14,158 Posts
Ridgetop said:
If you want to do it twice or do something else while you're out here, let me know. I'm only a short hop away. It's a great ride. We always do it the day before though just for fun. I ride up there so much I got tired of paying for it. Lots of other nice country to explore if you're interested.
heck yes I am! I'll be out there the first week of Sept so I'll get more info from yeah closer to then...have thought about renting a mtn bike while i'm there.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll be around as far as I know right now. I can take you on any type of ride you want, mountain or road. I know most of the routes/trails up there. Northshore is my backyard, but southshore is 100% doable. We can get in contact in late August to see how things are going.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Brings back memories... That was my daily commute (by car) when I coached at Mt. Rose 9 or 10 years ago. I lived in south Reno and would bike down through Galena then up that climb a number of times in the fall before the ski season started. It looks like they have repaved it fairly recently. Nice pics...

singlecross

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
Thanks for the nice pics

Mt. Rose is a first-category climb, and a beautiful place. Haven't been there for a few years, but I grew up in Reno, and skied a lot up there, and cycled up a few times. The old lodge you pictured isn't all that romantic -- it's probably only 40 or so years old. It was a bar and restaurant and inn, under various names (can't remember them at the moment). It was at least at times connected with the Tanenbaum ski area (a beginner hill) across the road.

The "Mt. Rose East Bowl" (which you refer to as the backside of Slide Mountain) was the front side for many years. It was developed under the name Reno Ski Bowl back in the 40's, and was called Slide Mountain Ski Area when I learned to ski there in the early 60's (Slide Mountain is the proper name of the peak --Mt. Rose is the higher peak (mainly wilderness) to the north, and the road goes over the pass between them). What is now the "front side" of "Mt. Rose" was to us known as the Northwest Passage, an undeveloped run we sometimes skied from the top of Slide. We had to arrange for a ride back (or hitch) after making it down to the highway. After the Mt. Rose side was developed they were operated as separate areas for a number of years.

Have you gone down the other side toward the Lake? Good road there, too. A few years ago when I was out visiting family I rode from Reno to Tahoe City via that route.

Thanks again for the pictures.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Elevation?

So what is the elevation of the pass? I see the pics with "7000" and "8000" but don't see anything with the elevation at the top. And, what is the distance from Reno?

Fabulous pics. I love cycling over mountain passes in the spring when there is still snow.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,062 Posts
Dude, didn't you just post somewhere else that you just had your first ride in 5 weeks? That's a pretty amazing welcome-back. Good work and beautiful report.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
oarsman said:
So what is the elevation of the pass? I see the pics with "7000" and "8000" but don't see anything with the elevation at the top. And, what is the distance from Reno?

Fabulous pics. I love cycling over mountain passes in the spring when there is still snow.
8911 feet. Roughly 23 miles from downtown Reno to the top.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It kicked my tail. I wasn't moving very fast that was for sure. I was gone so long that I felt I just had to go. Pretty much collapsed when I got back home.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yep, as JCav said. From my house it was 18.5 miles to the top. Total climb is roughly 4,400 feet.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
nearly 4.7 %

Ridgetop said:
Yep, as JCav said. From my house it was 18.5 miles to the top. Total climb is roughly 4,400 feet.
average grade: 1370 meters over 30 km (I am imperial unit challenged - had to go convert everything). That is quite a bit to take on if you haven't been riding in a while. Guess I should get off my butt and climb one of our local mountains. Top is about 25 km from home, and just about 1000 meters of climbing.

·
Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
Wow nice report. I flew over that on Thursday evening, and it looked great from 37000'. I really like the shot with the bike on the rail with the lake WAY WAY below you. Cool stuff.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Interresting

JCavilia said:
The "Mt. Rose East Bowl" (which you refer to as the backside of Slide Mountain) was the front side for many years. It was developed under the name Reno Ski Bowl back in the 40's, and was called Slide Mountain Ski Area when I learned to ski there in the early 60's (Slide Mountain is the proper name of the peak --Mt. Rose is the higher peak (mainly wilderness) to the north, and the road goes over the pass between them). What is now the "front side" of "Mt. Rose" was to us known as the Northwest Passage, an undeveloped run we sometimes skied from the top of Slide. We had to arrange for a ride back (or hitch) after making it down to the highway. After the Mt. Rose side was developed they were operated as separate areas for a number of years.
I grew up here too and remember Slide and Mt Rose being separate, the same, separate then the same, but I didn`t know that the Slide side was up there before the Rose side. I always figured the other way around. Thanks for the insight.

You too, Ridgetop- thanks for the pics. Out of curiosity, how long does it take you to climb and starting from where? The only time my bike sees that road is from the back of my pickup or looking down from the TRT.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I live just off of Geiger Grade (341) on the South end of Reno. It took me 2 hours and 22 minutes to the top (per my computer). Definitely not flying up it (less than 8 miles per hour). I wasn't in too much of a hurry and slowed down a lot for pics.

·
Have a nice day
5,878 Posts
Nice pics! IIRC that "Galena Sports Snowshoes" place used to be a pretty good German restaurant, although I may be thinking of someplace else. 13+ years ago my parents lived in the housing development just to the right of your first pic. I've driven 431 many times but never cycled it, looks like a good ride!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.