Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I contaminated my discs and pads a few years ago and now generally try not to mess with the discs and leave them be. I put covers over the discs before washing the bike but they do get dirty after long dusty rides. I just bought some new cleaning goodies for this season, new brushes, more soap. Until now I've just left them dirty but I came across this disc brake cleaner and am wondering if I need this.

People say they spray their discs down with this others use it to clean pads and possibly keep the calipers and pads clean. Does anybody use this? Feedback?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Just use isopropyl alcohol. Doubles to clean the calipers and pistons, any carbon fiber applications, and a host of other uses. As a famous poster on here sometimes says, "Don't overthink it"

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just use isopropyl alcohol.
Yeah no thanks, isopropyl alcohol (70%) is how I ruined my pads and.rotors. Maybe it should have been the purer 90%+ variety. I could not get them to stop squealing as all get out for days.

There's a product, it's stupid cheap at $9, I can point and spray and it caught my interest.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The horrid noise came on immediately after application of iso al 70% and was so comically loud that I could not continue riding. The upside is that I upgraded my Ultegra rotors to Dura Ace and matched black on black to the bike.

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
When your cleaning your brakes, just clean the rotors with the cleaner, not the pads. If you need to clean your calipers, just use a rag.
I clean my brakes like, once a year, if ever.

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,195 Posts
Yeah, that brake cleaner is for when you have the stuff all disassembled and need to clean the components. Same as for automobiles; you don't see people cleaning their car brakes after every ride, do you??

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yeah, that brake cleaner is for when you have the stuff all disassembled and need to clean the components. Same as for automobiles; you don't see people cleaning their car brakes after every ride, do you??
Not sure what you mean. Maybe I need a clarification.. No people don’t clean their car brakes after every ride (drive) Nor do I. I have Avid and Shimano rotors. Shimano pads and. I rarely need a complete brake system tear down for cleaning. You talking MTBR?

·
Registered
19,269 Posts
Yeah no thanks, isopropyl alcohol (70%) is how I ruined my pads and.rotors.
Uhhhh the ingredients in Finish Line disc brake cleaner are.....Heptane & Isopropanol (aka rubbing alcohol)
Bicycle Disc Brake Cleaner SAFETY DATA SHEET - Finish Line

I really doubt isopropyl alcohol ruined your brakes. Many people have been using it for years without issue. I have and no problems.
Rubbing alcohol is just Isopropanol and water.

You didn't use alcohol with an additive did you? Like this with 'wintergreen antiseptic'.

Finish Line disc brake cleaner is just marketing gimmick. The website says 'Bicycle Disc Brake Cleaner melts away baked-on brake glaze'. hahahaha

I rarely clean my rotors. If I do I just use water, isopropyl alcohol, or auto brake cleaner.
Auto brake cleaner is the same thing.... at 1/4 the cost.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
13,433 Posts
Not sure what you mean. Maybe I need a clarification.. No people don’t clean their car brakes after every ride (drive) Nor do I. I have Avid and Shimano rotors. Shimano pads and. I rarely need a complete brake system tear down for cleaning. You talking MTBR?
No Time Toulouse is just being snarky. Don't take him too seriously.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ah, good ol' TLG. Condescending arsehole then and same arsehole now. Still deserving of space in my signature.

I've three years on the Canyon now and the only and one time I touched the brakes, it started to shudder and squeal so loud that you could hear it around the block. I don't know what happened as I used ISO 70% and a clean cloth. I understand what you are saying, after all, it was the same advice that made me use it in the first place. New rotors and pads later, you can understand my hesitation to want to go a different route.

I enjoy cleaning my bike, it's a dry weather queen. I just gave it a good spring cleaning yesterday, broke the chain, took the jockey wheels off. I hosed it all down with Finish Line bike cleaner, dried it all off and brakes are fine. Still no idea what happened with ISO 70.

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
I just cleaned my MBike disk pads, I purchased bike used. There was oil all over them, did not stop very good. First I ran them back and forth on a metal file, then they got the acetone bath, then the disks were cleaned with acetone. Oil must have gotten on them from oiling the chain, by me or the OP. That bike is going to be moved to the far end of the pack.

·
Registered
30 Posts
For humor purposes.
Re: 70% alcohol. I had none and cut my lower leg on the chainring. Mineral spirits worked OK. Was in a situation too complicated to go into and desperate. Never stung, puncture healed up well.

Small print statement: I do not endorse this ‘cept for crazies like me, totally desperate to clean my wound. A medical pro would not be happy with me.

·
Registered
474 Posts
For humor purposes.
Re: 70% alcohol. I had none and cut my lower leg on the chainring. Mineral spirits worked OK. Was in a situation too complicated to go into and desperate. Never stung, puncture healed up well.

Small print statement: I do not endorse this ‘cept for crazies like me, totally desperate to clean my wound. A medical pro would not be happy with me.
Perhaps it just takes a bit for the MS to take hold. I once had to use water as chainlube...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts