Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rode in and finished my first century in Alb, NM on sat, the Tour de cure. It was 107.79 miles, 6:09:06, with an avg spd of 17.5. Had some serious sufferring from the 60-70 mile mark, got better, then suffered some more from 100 to the finish but I made it!

I have a couple of questions. I had a PB&J right before the start (I think I had bad PB) and about 1/2 hour in I got major stomach pain/gas pain that continued to get worse thruout the ride and continued ionto the evening. Someone said to me that it might have been from pushing to hard at the begining, can that cause it? Also at the end of the ride my left eye was completely bloodshoot and today the white of the eye is completely red. I know you can break vessels by sneezing and such, just wondering if it could have been caused by all the sweat or more likely the exertion?

Cant believe I am already looking forwar to the next one, El Tour in Nov! Should be easier as the elevation is alot lower.!

·
disgruntled pigskin fan
3,224 Posts
First off, congrats on finishing your first century. I can't answer your question about the potentially rancid PB, but I may be able to help with your eye question.

By bloodshot, do you mean all the vessels are engorged or is there an area where it looks as though blood is literally painted on just below the surface of the eye...as in a tiny hemorrhage? Wind, dust and salty tears can cause the severe irritation, causing the eye's blood vessels to enlarge, but it's unlikely to cause any subconjunctival hemorrhage. Severe exertion (as in a valsalva maneuver or any intense physical exercise which acutely spikes your blood pressure) can cause tiny hemorrhages in the white part of your eye; it's really nothing to worry about unless it becomes painful or doesn't go away within a month or two.

·
Dynastar
90 Posts
I love PB, but for some reason when I ride it gives me gas. It is worse if it is incorporated into some sort of processed food item e.g. Powerbars. Still does not stop me from eating it - just keeps people from riding my wheel :)

·
What the what???
12,986 Posts
As someone who sweats...alot...I have almost gotten used to the fact that any ride over 20 miles, and my eyes are going to be red and watery the next day. I rode 53 miles yesterday and will spend much of today looking like I'm stoned :). On long rides, I use a Halo and carry a small hand towel in my jersey pocket, but it only delays in inevitable. I sweat faster than the Halo can wick it away.

·
waterproof*
41,745 Posts
Yeah, gastro-intestinal distress is well-associated with long/hard rides. It could be the pbj, it could be the long hard ride, it could be anything else you ate.

Ask yourself - if I had eaten the same stuff while sitting on the couch, how would I feel?

Same with eye problems - everybody gets red irritated eyes after being out in the hot sun, windy dusty working hard for hours and hours. I keep some visine in my kit bag.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all. Buckeye, yes like the surface is painted, solid red. I will have to goggle subconjunctival hemorrhage, at the very least so I can actually pronounce that word!!

Normally PB and me get along just fine, so it probably had to do with the pace. The first 60 miles I was hanging (with friends) at the end of the front group, the first 45 min or so was mid 20's-low 30's. I should have found another slower group but stayed with them until mile 60 (19.9 avg spd then) and was suffering bigtime from 60-70 miles. Solo the rest of the way because no one else was around. It was a great learning experience.

Bmx, I have never heard of the valsalva maneuver. Should I goggle that too?:blush2: :D

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
PB doesn't digest that easily. If you went hard from the beginning like it sounds like you did that could cause digestive issues. When you are riding hard your blood goes to the legs and lungs instead of the stomach.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.