Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a used Kogswell Model G (https://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=55959).

Now I'm finished for the moment.

I removed the chopped and flipped bars, replacing them with some Syntace bullhorns and Tektro 4.1 reverse levers (I believe the Kogswell calipers are Tektro, also). I am not sure if I like the bullhorns. I will give them a few weeks, but the chopped bars may have been more comfortable. I angled the bullhorns up and that may help, but we'll see. I was also considering a Nitto noodle bar, which I may still try.

I added a rear brake after getting one from Matthew from Kogswell. I called to order one after not getting through by email. He took my information, then when I asked how I could pay he said by saying good things about him. So here I am, saying good things about Matthew because he sent me a rear brake on the house. He also knew the customer and shop that built up this frame. The guy got the bike for his girlfriend and it was too big. The frame is in very good shape.

I put a KMC silver chain on.

I got a saddle after borrowing the one from my geared bike.

I got some bottle cages.

I have around 150 miles on it already, including 56 miles round trip to work. It is very comfortable and the climbs are not as hard as I anticipated. My travel time to work was in my normal range compared to my geared bike. The internal cable routing for the rear brake is nice. Getting used to riding fixed is pretty easy so far.

I'm very happy with the buy though I still am not sure about the bars and levers. I am trying to decide what color fenders (yellow, gray/silver, or black).

·
Fixed Geezer
76 Posts
Werry werry nice. I am not crazy about the bar tape, but you shouldn't (and probably don't) care what I like. Cool bike though, congrats!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Yessirree, that's a good 'un! Ditto on the yellow bar tape and pedals, as if you care. FWIW, I bought an On-One Mungo moustache handlebar that I like very much and might look nice on that classy frame of yours. I hear consistently good things about Kogswell, and judging from your frame, I can see why.

·
Travels by Map
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I definitely like the yellow Crank Bros. (and only $50). I'm not sure about the bar tape, but I'm not going to change it until I wear it out or swap bars. I go through tape pretty quickly.

It sucks that the tape must be removed on one side to get the handlebars out of the stem.

·
Non non normal
10,086 Posts
Looks great Nate. Maybe I will get to see you ride that thing in person in the near future on one of those RBR fixed rides.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts