Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been wanting to convert my rigid aluminum trek MTB to a drop-bar touring bike. Slowly gathered parts over the 1.5 years. Finally set a date for a C&O tour with my nephew that gave me a deadline. I've been busy helping my husband and finishing the school year; finally 6 days ago I got started. :thumbsup:
I've only built a single-speed before this so I knew it would take some time but sheesh...anyway I finished tonight. There is still some minor tweaking to do, the back brakes are a little mushy, and I need to figure out how to attach the rear light to the rack.
I'll post some during shots now and some finished shots tomorrow when there is enough light to take some good pictures.

#1 attached the fenders and took off the flat bars, trying things out
#2 ...snacking while working
#3 is the before picture

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bigbill said:
Do you have "travel agents" to make the linear pull brakes work with the road levers? They will solve the mushy brake feel. www.problemsolversbike.com
Thanks, I looked at those but instead bought the special aero-levers that work with v-brakes. I need to true the rear wheel and tighten the brakes up. I've never trued a wheel before so I didn't want to try it in the half dark tonight.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finished pictures!

fasteddy07 said:
I have two of those ! (golden retrievers that is!)
That's Skipper, he rocks!

Okay I know it's late but these are pictures of the finished product. My nephew and I swapped the trailer back and forth during our trip. I am really happy with this bike though I'd still like to upgrade the wheels and drivetrain, something lighter and stiffer.

*note: I know the bars are at a funky angle in one shot, please forgive I was tweaking the angle I lowered them later.

·
Wearing blue suede shoes
900 Posts
Very nice!
Was your decision to use the mtb based on the fact that you already had it?
I have a trek 'crosser that I use for commuting and grocery-getting, and I'm trying to work up to a solo "at-least-overnighter" so I'm always curious how everyone is setting up their rig without spending freakish amounts of money.
I love it, rawkin the lounge socks.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
peterjones said:
Very nice!
Was your decision to use the mtb based on the fact that you already had it?
I have a trek 'crosser that I use for commuting and grocery-getting, and I'm trying to work up to a solo "at-least-overnighter" so I'm always curious how everyone is setting up their rig without spending freakish amounts of money.
I love it, rawkin the lounge socks.
Yes, it was a bike I picked up for my nephew and I liked it, so when he outgrew it he gave it back to me. I wanted something that I could feel comfortable banging around on trails and still be comfortable over the long distances.
I should have kept track of how much I spent but I watched for deals and it took about 1.5 years. I'd say less then $200 for the changeover. Of course I didn't upgrade the wheels or the chain ring and that's where the big bucks can come in.
-new bars
-shorter stem
-seatpost with no setback
-new cables and housing
-new chain
-new skinnier tires
-freddy fenders
- new brake levers
-new brake pads
-bar ends
-new tape
-cinelli bar padding
-new headlight, taillight, and computer

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MB1 said:
And you didn't invite us along because???? :cryin:

BTW wasn't it crazy muddy?
We took five days to ride what you ride in one;-)
It was really really muddy. It rained all day on Wed but that wasn't as bad as Friday afternoon when we got to the section between White's Ferry and mile 15 or so. The mud was so deep it was truly a struggle to remain upright.

·
Non non normal
10,103 Posts
I know you had a great time. Cycling and camping is about as good as it gets.

·
Registered
500 Posts
zeytin said:
Thanks, I looked at those but instead bought the special aero-levers that work with v-brakes. I need to true the rear wheel and tighten the brakes up. I've never trued a wheel before so I didn't want to try it in the half dark tonight.
Which levers are those? I'm in the same situation right now...

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
rodar y rodar said:
Cool! I thought all the 8XX series Treks were steel frames though- guess I was mistaken. I take it your nephew is an adult? Was that his first bike camping trip?

My nephew is 15; we did the trip 2 years ago when he was 13 along with my Dad.
Nope everyone thinks this bike is steel but it's aluminum; apparently the only year they made it alum. (I can tell on the weight and it also says it in big letters on the frame)

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
IAmCosmo said:
Which levers are those? I'm in the same situation right now...
Sorry I was teaching sail camp this week and couldn't check in.
I didn't use the Cane Creek ones but they are pretty much the same as mine. I got the Tektro RL520 aero brake levers, I wanted all black but they shipped me the silver and I didn't feel like sending them back.
They work great BTW.

(oh and I'm a gal not a guy)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts