Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I start up Firefox this morning for the first time in almost two weeks. It says it's updating. It churns and churns and finally comes up with a screen titled "Firefox Updated" that says;

"You’re now running Firefox 3.6.7.
For security reasons, we recommend downloading the latest and greatest version."

Really? So that update you just did wasn't to the latest and greatest version? Now I have to go get it on my own? WTF?

Far too many idiots writing software these days.

·
Administrator
13,009 Posts
You had an old download waiting to update from your last session. In the interim another update- 3.6.8 was released. So 3.6.7 needed to be installed, and then it checked for any subsequent updates, which it found.

So, the software design was fine.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Coolhand said:
You had an old download waiting to update from your last session. In the interim another update- 3.6.8 was released. So 3.6.7 needed to be installed, and then it checked for any subsequent updates, which it found.

So, the software design was fine.
No, the software design was not fine. At a minimum, before installing any update, it should check to make sure it is the most current version. This takes a few milliseconds to do, but can save the user a LOT of time later. Not to mention how stupid it makes the product look when, after an update, it says you need to update.

·
Registered
7,934 Posts
too bad FF sucks on my Mac now. Chrome and Safari are much faster. I tired FF 4.0 beta as well.

·
Slightly Opinionated
10,231 Posts
FF has just been a pig lately. Not happy with it at all.

Chrome is the alternative, and it takes HUGE system resources (of course I run about 14 tabs at a time...)

·
Registered
11,088 Posts
yeah, I've had it with FF...it's a dog.

gonna be removing it this week.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
What's up with the different functionality when you go to Google? Doesn't look like you can get to the image database easily like you can with IE. I use that all the time.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,036 Posts
What annoys me is when they add a new "feature" but, instead of having an on/off checkbox in the Preferences you have to go into their archaic about:config page to change it (after Goggling how to change it, of course).

The latest one was the "feature" of having new tabs open next to the page from which you've clicked the link.

Or how they took away the ability to close the last tab, so I had to find an add-on that did it. So f-ing annoying.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts