Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, started riding at the end of February and have been lurking here since then. I bought a felt z100 and have put about 500 miles on it thus far. I'm riding in my first 50 on Saturday, and got to wondering what a good training regimen during the week was. I rode 28 miles last night and wondered if I should ride tomorrow, or maybe a short ride Friday evening? I'm really enjoying the forums as I've read some great stuff so far!

Mark

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
There is absolutely nothing you can do on the bike to make you ride that 50-miler faster, if you haven't done the training already. But there are lots of things you can do on the bike to make you slower (like doing way too much between now & then). Take Thursday off altogether & rest - feet up; not gardening. Then on Friday ride 20 miles at medium (talking) pace and throw in a few (3-5?) one to two minute harder efforts with about the same rest in between - just to loosen the legs and get the heart going.

Between now and Saturday, drink lots (water not booze!) and eat some carbs. Drink & eat often and light on the ride - one bottle of water per hour. Start to drink at the 15-20 minute mark (not the whole bottle at 59 minutes!) and drink every 15 minutes.

And on Saturday, don't ride into the red zone unless you do this often on your normal rides. Pace yourself - try to start at the same pace you aim to finish at. Don't go [email protected] out for 20 miles with a load of fast guys and grovel the last 30 in purgatory.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.